The law or the cops

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I am in Long Beach Calif. Long Beach is a very bicycle friendly town, motorized bikes not so much. A couple of years ago I did a bunch of research on "the law" and electric bicycles. Rules say DMV makes the rules except cities can make their own rules (whatever). Bicycles must travel in the extreme right lane with traffic, unless it is unsafe to do so, then using the sidewalk is permitted. Sidewalks can be used to access a buisness or to park the bike.

I pretty much followed those guide lines when using my E bikes they are quiet and smooth at any speed and have a stealth quality that my gas bike does not.

Today on Ocean Blvd. in Long Beach I notice all the pedal bikes were on the sidewalk (I would have been too on a pedal bike or an E bike) It would have been way safer. Have any of you calif. riders used the sidewalks when the streets were too unsafe have you got in trouble with the law. I ride at bike speeds am not a bother obey the rules I just don't want to get run over.

Jim C.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Have any of you calif. riders used the sidewalks when the streets were too unsafe have you got in trouble with the law?
I can't say for Cali, but where I am it's a $90 fine just for pedaling on the sidewalk. Which I never do.

I guess if you're with a pack on the 'walk don't be the last guy :)

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Wonder if you just fake pedaled as you went along if this would help in the stelth?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
there is a law somewhere that says bicycles aren't allowed on sidewalks at all unless designated as a bike lane also. it's obviously not really enforced.

gas bikes are definitely not allowed on sidewalks or anywhere marked "no motorized vehicles," such as the santa ana river trail and the newport/balboa boardwalk, UNLESS the motor's off and you're just pedaling it.

once you added that motor, you've become a motor vehicle operator.

the only time i ride on the sidewalk is to roll up and push the "walk" button when i'm stuck at an intersection, 'cause i'm not heavy enough to trigger the light...

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Two people have died in bicycle wrecks in Tampa lately.

Both in crosswalks I believe.

The FBA posted this.

Motorists look for danger in the roadway. That ‘danger’ typically comes from other motor vehicles, not from bicyclists. People tend to “see” only what they are looking for, not what is necessarily within their field of view. ‘Danger’ to a motorist appears in the form of an obstruction in their lane or from a vehicle that may oppose them in an intersection and this danger comes from predictable places. As motorists we train ourselves to be keenly aware of these places.

Studies of people on cell phones have shown that they tend to tunnel-vision down to the lane that they’re in even further narrowing their focus.

A major precept of vehicular cycling is to be visible and predictable to motorists. We wear bright colored jerseys and light ourselves up to that end, but does that really mean that we are visible? I think not. We are only visible if we are also where the motorist is looking for danger.

In a through traffic lane, the danger is an obstruction in the lane, such as a cyclist clearly planted in the lane. For instance, 2-3 feet left of the white line. An approaching motorist will see and register the cyclist as an obstruction and make a conscious decision to slow and when it’s safe, go around. By going around, the motorist makes a conscious decision to make a full or partial lane change and unconsciously gives the cyclist the three feet or more clearance that Florida State Law provides for.

A cyclist sitting on or close to the white line (we call them gutter bunnies) poses no danger to a motorist and therefore, requires no decision process. The cyclist may not even register on the motorist’s mind as something to be avoided. They’re not “in the lane,” so they can probably be passed without a lane change. The cyclist has a different perspective. “That @%&?@ just dusted me off!”

If a Motorist doesn?t see you, he can?t avoid you Florida Bicycle Association

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
motorbiker is correct in what he says. When you ride on the sidewalk or in the crosswalk which is absolutely illegal or to close to the curb or edge of the road. you are endangering yourself. I just looked at a study that stated that 49% of bicyclists accidents in Berlin where the bicyclists fault.
An Aussie study showed it at 44%. They went one step further and said this. Not only were motorists responsible for most crashes, more than 85 per cent of those drivers already had blemished traffic records
The real interesting part was the reason these people on bicycles got hit. They were riding on the side walks and going against traffic. This is the #1 cause. Riding where you can not be seen. There is big press going on about how bicyclists and MBs do not stop at lights and stop signs. But I have yet to see these instances be the cause of many deaths. Guess what motorists do this also. The reason for this is because when these people run the lights most of the the time they are right where they can be seen,so traffic has time to react. The reason this kind of activity gets more PR than what causes the most bicyclists deaths is obvious. I stop at lights and stops but I do not ride on sidewalks or in crosswalks or go against traffic. It is dangerous to play hide and go seek with cars.
I know CA law and have ridden in many states. CA is not near the most dangerous state to motor down the road in. There is a free publication on line called Bicycling street smarts. Just google it. The boy scout merit badge manual for bicycling is even more extensive. I do not know the current price but have been a merit badge counselor for cycling before. If you decide to educate yourself also look at the state statutes or laws for bicycles. The law says ride as close as practical to the right edge of the road. When it is unsafe to ride to the right it is not required. You need to know your rights and obey the law accordingly. The law makes statements but does not train you how to be safe while doing what they ask. This is your responsibility and yours alone.