comparison of two e bikes I built...

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
These are two different bikes so it is apples to oranges but at least it is something.

The rhino drive is a 600 watt scooter motor with a free wheel built into the sprocket. It runs a #25 chain which drives a scooter wheel. The sprocket on the scooter wheel can be changed to give it more speed or more torque. I run a 62 tooth sprocket which is a compromise. This incarnation of the drive is on a 12 speed mountain bike. The scooter wheel sits on top of the rear wheel of the bike.

The bike is easy to pedal when the drive is not engaged because it is a wheel with bearing running on top of a the rear wheel. Since the motor has a freewheel there is very little drag. Some loss of energy from the slipping of the wheel on top of the bike wheel but it is more than made up for my the pedal assist in the highest gear. The bike will do nice speeds about 15 mph or so without any real effort. it will also run with no pedal assist as well. Since I live in an area with lots of hills this bike is a better bike now that it has gears. I have run it the last few days at 30v.

The currie chain drive rear wheel dual sprocket drive. This drive system came from a 20" mongoose that I bought off ebay. someone else had stripped the parts. I bought the twenty inch wheel and motor. It is a 450 watt motor at 24v. I run it at 36v. This is not a good pedal assist bike since it is one speed and the ratio is set for max torgue not speed. The bikes speed really has to drop before I can pedal it. Still it is a good strong running bike. Clocked on the flat with police radar at 19,mph.

I think I like the rhino drive on the 12speed bike just a little better than the currie but it is a tough call. Anyway since friction drive is getting a bad rap lately, thought I would chime in. I waited until I had tested the bike against a chain drive before I defended it. I have done that now and I think I am ready to defend my friction drive at least. The secret to this drive is the free wheel on the motor sprocket, and the fact that it runs an 8 inch rubber wheel with scooter bearings so the drag is insignificant. It might weight as much as ten pounds so there is that to consider I suppose. But the currie motor does as well. Actually a hub motor weighs more than the thino drive and I have one of those as well. Of the three bike drive systems I own it is the Rhiny or Currie over the hub for sure. But that is just my opinion which is pretty worthless.

Oh those of you who have the Currie on the mountain bike frame with gear probably have a better bike than either of mine. The gears make a world of difference. Switching to 36v also makes a huge difference in my bikes anyway.

Last edited: