Frames - how do you determine the quality of the welding?

GoldenMotor.com

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
Bad welds....those are the welds you get when you use the cheepo mig outfits with no gass and that wonderful flux core steel wire....good looking welds are probably good if you know what you are looking at...bad looking welds are bad even if you dont know what you are looking at...Blakenstein..I thought that post about the signs was pretty good myself.

christopher fowler

Dec 17, 2009
p a washington
I started my first project bike with a NEXT bike from wallmart it was the cheapest brand new bike available, by the time i got the bike to not fall aprart it was great but i replaced alot of parts but the frame was always good i find its everything else that goes such as cheap wheels and forks always seem to go i gues from harder impacts at higher speeds and poor quality forks, ill tell u id rather go with a decent used bike than a brand new cheappie from walymart
look up sheldon brown website he has more info on line then just about anyone long live sheldon!

Last edited:

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Bad welds....those are the welds you get when you use the cheepo mig outfits with no gass and that wonderful flux core steel wire....good looking welds are probably good if you know what you are looking at...bad looking welds are bad even if you dont know what you are looking at...Blakenstein..I thought that post about the signs was pretty good myself.
Tank's Turtle Ted, I,m just trying to help :):)

cvlt1

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
look up sheldon brown website he has more info on line then just about anyone long live sheldon!
sadly, sheldon brown passed away almost 2 years ago (feb. 3, 2008.)

"Brown developed a nerve deterioration over the last years of his life. After losing his ability to balance an upright bicycle, he continued pedaling by using a recumbent tricycle. In August 2007, Brown was diagnosed with primary progressive multiple sclerosis. Brown died on February 3, 2008 after a heart attack." (wikipedia)

hopefully, his legacy will live on in the ethernet forever. his website (Sheldon Brown's Home Page) is an invaluable tool for any biker, no matter their skill or experience.

christopher fowler

Dec 17, 2009
p a washington
sadly, sheldon brown passed away almost 2 years ago (feb. 3, 2008.)

"Brown developed a nerve deterioration over the last years of his life. After losing his ability to balance an upright bicycle, he continued pedaling by using a recumbent tricycle. In August 2007, Brown was diagnosed with primary progressive multiple sclerosis. Brown died on February 3, 2008 after a heart attack." (wikipedia)

hopefully, his legacy will live on in the ethernet forever. his website (Sheldon Brown's Home Page) is an invaluable tool for any biker, no matter their skill or experience.
thanx for tuning me up sheldon died but his awesome info lives on !