3.5 HP small lawnmower engine

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Vernon I have never used myspace could you give me a direct link please. I would like to see what you have there.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yes, please do Vernon. I am hoping to build one as well. I was thinking instead of a sliding sort of clutch system to do some thing like this. Maybe a "scissor" mechanism sort of deal. Sounds kinda silly, but the new aerodynamic looking lawn mowers would look great as a rack mount and are more easily muffled then a chain saw. Ascetics, power and speed with a simple mounting. This is a winner for sure.

Sep 4, 2008
deacn just go to thread #8 on this forum [page 1] and you will see that our fine friend large filipino has already done the work!! just click on the link. enjoy!!! vernon

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
OH MAN! with a pivoting CVT!!! that concept would be awesome. Vernon, does the spin of the shaft gyrate you in a particular direction like a WW1 rotary air plane engine. (^)

Sep 4, 2008
hi dan!! glad you found it!! i'm working on one now with an old cruiser bike frame [extended frame,raked fork with 6 hp b&s quantum motor. i'm not thinking of more speed here but more power, i think 25 mph is plenty fast for bike brakes. i'm going to do a trike this winter but more conventional with a 5 horse horz shaft. love the ideas here!!! the scissor mount idea is very intresting concept. keep us posted vernon

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
That is exactly what I was talking about to someone on this blog. the only difference is that I was proposing to drive on the rim instead of the tire. If you use a rubber roller on the engine it would grip the rim, and with the roller on the other side pressure would be equal. I was saying to lower the engine instead of sideways. As you pick the engine up it would engage the rim taper. On the engine you would have to install the flywheel from a horizontal engine the vertical uses the blade to work as the flywheel. Have fun, Dave

Sep 4, 2008
great idea dave!!! i use a hard rubber roller on my bikes and it matches up pretty well with the sidewall of the bike tire. i use the same thing for the idler wheel. i think that a softer rubber roller would indeed work quite well on the bike wheel especially if you tapered the roller to match the taper of the wheel. that would give a lot of surface for the roller to grip. hope to see you build one soon. have fun vernon

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
Ive seen a great video where a guy shaved downthe the edge of a grocery cart wheel to line up with the rim., im trying to steal his idea btu my 3.5hp wont spark yet the magnettor is all rusty, any idea if it should worl

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
The Iron core of the mag if it is rusty, should not make a difference. Look for the kill switch and make sure it is not grounded that is how it is stopped. Also does it have points you can tell if a wire goes behind the flywheel, if not there is a small devise shoved in next to the coil and one of the iron arms with the wire to the coil connected, this is the best, it is all electric. You should not run a rotary engine with the original flywheel it is too light, it will work but the engine will be hard to start and have little torque. Have fun, Dave
Ive seen a great video where a guy shaved downthe the edge of a grocery cart wheel to line up with the rim., im trying to steal his idea btu my 3.5hp wont spark yet the magnettor is all rusty, any idea if it should worl

ssims

Mar 26, 2009
Fall
Hello
Very new to this whole building thing...
However , i really would like to build myself a motorized bicycle. I've read through a lot of the comments and threads on here, but i would loooooove for someone ( if possible) to post like step by step instructions on how to do this. I just came in a 3.5hp lawnmower motor and would love to hook it to my bicycle and fly lol. thanks in advance for any help

.cptr.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Ssims - It is harder to get a Lawnmower engine to go in a bike, but there is a way. Make a pusher what it is, is a engine on a device that pushes the bike from the rear. I have seen one made from a trailer used to haul children. All the canopy was removed and the engine was installed driving one of the wheels and all you have to do is fetch the throttle up to the handlebars. Have fun, Dave

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I was going to say the same thing Egor. Znsane built one using a hand truck. The thing is awesome. And has the great advantage of small wheels so it is much easier to get the gear ratio right. It has intrinsic cargo capacity and big time unique/cool factor. A lot easier to mount. with a big motor, you would have to wedge it into the frame or build a rack over the rear tire. You have many options, just throwing it out there. Really, half the fun of this is the plotting even before you pick up a wrench or ride. Here is a link to Znsane's build;

http://motorbicycling.com/f14/hello-znsaneryder-4724.html

ssims

Mar 26, 2009
Fall
Thanks for the advice, however since my last post i have changed my mind about what im going to do with my handy dandy mower motor, im going to make a go cart now. any suggests on the how-to would be much appriciated. Thanks in Advance...

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Were talking horizontal shaft lawn mowers here. Znsane has a vertical shaft go cart engine.
The riddle has long been answered in this thread guys.
As far as a go cart goes,that may actually be a bit harder to do.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LF, are you sure the thread of Znane's posted here is a vertical shaft engine, or am I missing some thing?

Ssims - It is harder to get a Lawnmower engine to go in a bike, but there is a way. Make a pusher what it is, is a engine on a device that pushes the bike from the rear. I have seen one made from a trailer used to haul children. All the canopy was removed and the engine was installed driving one of the wheels and all you have to do is fetch the throttle up to the handlebars. Have fun, Dave
Egor, was at wally world thinking about the whole lawn mower thing and a low trailer like you mentioned. Some of the new lawnmowers have a low, sporty sort of profile and would look pretty cool.. I thought maybe a sort worm gear set up. Industrial ones are way to much and to much $. Found this but think it would be to light for the torque, but some thing like it.

Heavy Duty Right Angle Drill Attachment - Labor Saving Devices

Dunno, but could be pretty interesting to build.

Last edited: