what is that high pitched popping sound?

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I occasionally get a high pitched pop or click sound. It's usually when I first start my bike and I think it goes away after a while but I just wondered if it's something I should be concerned about.
I uploaded a video to youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYcAwjYWmCs
while you're at it, let me know how the engine sounds...is it 4 stroking?
thanks

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Sounds to me like a loose head. I agree with Tom: make sure your head-gasket's good. Might want to lap the mating parts so as to get a good seal, and use a torque-wrench if you have one to make sure those nuts are tightened properly.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Thanks, I'll check it when my engine cools down. I just got back from an enjoyable jaunt around the neighborhood.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
well I tightened everything. Everything was looser than I thought. It seems to have ceased.
Sounds like that's what it needed. Crazy how these things can vibrate bolts loose! I always try to check every few rides to see how everything is doing. My buddy had an engine mount come loose and the studs snapped in the case. Only one was retrievable so now he rocks one bolt holding the mount in place with some stainless steel clamps holding the motor in place on that side. Not a great solution, but it shows if you don't keep up on it something can go wrong!

Also hello from columbia, Mo!