PLEASE HELP. 80cc kit will NOT Rev w/ no power

GoldenMotor.com

southernmilitia

Feb 15, 2014
Indiana
Hi guys,
I have tried all sorts of resolutions and need help.
I installed an 80cc 2 stroke bicycle engine kit installed.

The problem:
The engine will start right up. Once the engine is started I cannot get the bike over 15 mph. It 'lugs' along, and the engine will not rev high.

when sitting still and holding the throttle wide open, the engine will not rev very high and oil residue 'splatters' out the exhaust pipe. The engine seems to be 'out of time' or something.

I cleaned the carburetor, then bought a new one and tried that. nothing.
I checked all the wiring, looks good. Torqued head bolts and checked engine compression. double checked gas/oil mix.

What can I be missing?

thanks guys for any help.
:-||

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
You'll need to provide more detail:

Fuel-to-oil ratio?
Carb type?
Carb jet size?
Carb needle-setting?
Your elevation above sea-level?
Spark-plug condition?

If you have an NT carb, be sure your choke's in the proper position: DOWN for open, UP for choke.

Right off the bat, it sounds like you're running WAY rich: your exhaust shouldn't be dripping. Makes me think your carb-jet's too large, and maybe your needle-settings off.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I gotta agree with Kioshk here... need more info but it sounds like it's way too rich or your using too much oil in your fuel... you're not mixing at 16:1 are you? That could also explain the drip from the exhaust.

Also how much do you weigh? And what size rear sprocket do you have installed?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sounds way rich (drop needle a notch) and may also be a pre-2012 motor that may need as much as 60 - 100miles to get to full power

was it cheaper than most?

Jul 5, 2015
Santa Barbara, CA
This probably isn't the problem, but i had a similar condition with my bike and it turned out that i had installed the throttle cable into the twist grip wrong. If the throttle cable is OK, with no kinks or overly sharp turns then do as crassius says and drop the needle a notch. Also, i broke in my bike on 16:1, and it ran fine, and it is quite fast even on 16:1. One last thing, when i first set up my carb i made the mistake of putting the needle on top of the little washer with a slit in it, and that caused some really weird throttle response.

joeltrain

Jul 4, 2011
Douglasville GA
Hi guys,
I have tried all sorts of resolutions and need help.
I installed an 80cc 2 stroke bicycle engine kit installed.

The problem:
The engine will start right up. Once the engine is started I cannot get the bike over 15 mph. It 'lugs' along, and the engine will not rev high.

when sitting still and holding the throttle wide open, the engine will not rev very high and oil residue 'splatters' out the exhaust pipe. The engine seems to be 'out of time' or something.

I cleaned the carburetor, then bought a new one and tried that. nothing.
I checked all the wiring, looks good. Torqued head bolts and checked engine compression. double checked gas/oil mix.

What can I be missing?

thanks guys for any help.
:-||
I had this problem myself. Solution turned out to be a clogged muffler. My stock muffler had a catalyst in it and it was solid burnt up oil. I took it to a muffler shop and had it cut open
Removed catalyst and welded back together for $20. Problem solved