What sprocket is best for me?

GoldenMotor.com

Absocold

Jul 26, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
I'm on my second build and this one will be with the grubee stage II 4-stroke motor. My first build was with a china girl. I live near Minneapolis, MN thus there aren't many hills around here. I weigh a whopping 155 and will be mounting the engine on a Shwinn Jaguar from target. The sprockets I've been considering are the 41 tooth and the 36 tooth "racing sprocket." I don't care a whole lot about going fast, however it seems logical to me that running my engine consistently at lower RPMs should equal longer engine life. My biggest concern with the 36 tooth is getting up the few hills we have here in MN. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Absocold

Jul 26, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
Okay, so I read some similar posts to this and decided on the 36 tooth sprocket. But now I have another question. I want to use a fuel filter for my bike but don't know much about them. Where can I get a one which is both inexpensive and quality?

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Okay, so I read some similar posts to this and decided on the 36 tooth sprocket. But now I have another question. I want to use a fuel filter for my bike but don't know much about them. Where can I get a one which is both inexpensive and quality?
I get my fuel filters at Menard's in the lawn mower dept. for $2.99. You can also get them at Northern tool, or any of the home stores, Lowes, Home Depot. I don't make a habit of going to Wall Mart (Ran to many small town people out of business!) But I see on here where people get them there.

John

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
With those sprockets, you will be pedalling a lot from a dead stop and then you wouldn't hit peak power until 40 mph or more if you have enough power to get to peak.

4 strokes with the Grubee do not usually operate with the same sprockets as 2 strokes because they make power at higher RPMs and the gear reduction through the gearbox is different. I would urge a 48 tooth to start and a 44 if you really want speed.

What may work with a 2 stroke is completely irrelevant! Likewise, what would be used with a 4 stroke and the Hoot gearbox is irrelevant. The Grubee has different gearing from that too!

Last edited:

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Hi Abso, If your just looking to get around, go with the 41. I had a 44T then put the 40T I like the 40 better, I can cruise at about 25mph. The 36T is for much higher speeds and you will have more pedaling top do, in order top save the clutch. Your weight is ideal for these gas bikes, it will be easier on your engine. You mention your not out for speed so go with the 41T good luck

Absocold

Jul 26, 2008
Twin Cities, MN
Thank you all for the help! I called dax back and canceled the 36 tooth sprocket. He was very accommodating. Hopefully I get all of my parts soon that I can start building!

One more question. Other than making sure I grease the gear box, is there any other maintenance I should perform on the engine or parts before I run it?