honda 50cc governor

GoldenMotor.com

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
Has anyone with a honda 4 stroke 50 cc kept the governor parts in tact but replace the spring from the throttle lever to the governor arm with a stiffer spring or rigid wire to prevent the governor from slowing the motor down during acceloration yet allowing an easy start when the governor is in the settled possition before starting the motor also allowing for an easier throttle hook up useing the conduit clip and swivel stop parts from staton inc.
Untitled Document

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Glacknoid. I am just finishing up my first Honda build. (The throttle is a big pain) I was going to try what you are thinking, but thought it better to lose it all together so as to have complete control. I just kept thinking that it would "feel" the need to govern more gas when applying brakes. From what I have read, it is possible to keep the gov., I just do not know from personal experience if it is wise

Hough made gave me some great advise about just this and ways around the other challenges. His advice is well worth the read.
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/new-honda-50-a-6577-2.html#post67519

Please keep us updated on your build. ..and lots of pics

TC

Houg's ride. How cool is this!? Gallery: Homemade Motorized Bike Pays Tribute to Motorcycles of Yesteryear

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
Dan: I put the titan carbs on both my bikes. It works well. I like it better than with that pesky gov. I'll get some better photo's this summer to post. Hopefully both will be complete with jackshaft shift kit and all. I was even checking out the NuVinci cvt hub but I'll have to do more research to see if it's worth the money. Were talking 350 for the parts.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Glacknoid. When I was pulling my hair out with the dang thing, I wish I had known Dax's carbs would work. I couldn't find any HS's. Glad they worked for you. I ended up moding the cable to also work as the return tension. Works really well (so far) I also really wanted to keep it stock. Most folks seem to replace the carb and swear by em so I will try on a future build

NuVinci cvt hub, sweet. I saw one recently on Clist and was tempted. If it works well and lasts, would be worth it.

(Wonder if you could mod it to work as a MB auto tranny. mount it it between the engine and rear wheel, then jack shaft to the right with a sprocket bolted on the left driving the rear wheel sprocket...? Gonna thunk about this one)