minibike to motorbike

GoldenMotor.com

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
If the engine is too wide for a frame mount, maybe it would be good for a rear mount. But then, even $249 for the minibike may not be worth it, if the only thing I end up using is the engine, which can be had for $99 elsewhere. Oh well, it was just a thought. Besides, I know me. If I bought the minibike and brought it home, I'd start having so much fun with it that I wouldn't want to dismantle it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Re: IF you dig a hole;

And then fill it back up, you MAY have a sore back, a half-filled hole, and a reason to go to the store to buy two beers. English can be difficult, but certainly not impossible. Was this too much information?

The Mini bike engines are too wide, I agree. I will see if I can get my friend to tell you about Get YOUR EZmotorbike TODAY! wherein you can have a nice 4-stroke, in frame, using the wider crank, with NO noisy gearbox, NO Chinese auto clutch, American components, "Quick Change Silent Power Transmission", optional "EZ-Pipe", with exceptional fit for ALL frames, and great potential for Dealer opportunities.

I will ask Quenton today to post some info, thier new website is up and running, but in process of being built, so you'll need to be patient as it grows.

It sure is nice to have the new 4-stroke section.

Mike
I have ridden (rode, lol here we go again) that bike. It is smooth as silk! It has a very cleaver gear system that you can not hear and he lapped me twice twice at the East cost rally last year wile I was on my chinagurl. I never heard him coming. I love my 2 strokers and china girls but man 4 stroking is just so much smoother!

That bike is what got me hunting for a 4stroke to begin with.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
If the engine is too wide for a frame mount, maybe it would be good for a rear mount. But then, even $249 for the minibike may not be worth it, if the only thing I end up using is the engine, which can be had for $99 elsewhere. Oh well, it was just a thought. Besides, I know me. If I bought the minibike and brought it home, I'd start having so much fun with it that I wouldn't want to dismantle it.
LOL! I hear ya..

The wondering and thinking is half the fun. I really think you are right about using some thing similar and mass produced for parts. It is a great idea. It is our quest!

up, up and .fly

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Make a trailer out of that minibike, and you will have the power and gearing, and hardly have to mod your bike. You can rack-mount an 80cc or 97cc engine, but wow, for $249, that's cheaper than it cost me to build my trailer.

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Make a trailer out of that minibike, and you will have the power and gearing, and hardly have to mod your bike. You can rack-mount an 80cc or 97cc engine, but wow, for $249, that's cheaper than it cost me to build my trailer.
Do you have any more photos? All I can see is that tiny pic by your screen name. I've thought about a pusher trailer. I'm interested in more details.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Re: minibike to motorbike Slightly off topic spelling

All of my life I've had a problem with lower case d and b, even typing this I have to look at the screen to make sure that I have the right letter. I recently found a spelling test from my first grade and there it was; confusion with those TWO letters. It must be a mild dyslexia, I've never had any other problems like that one with any other letters or numbers.
A really common mistake is the variations on words that sound like "there". There is what..there, their, they're. "There are their bikes they're riding."
Don't worry Dan, I learned to read and write in kindergarten and I still screw thinmgs up.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Went looking at that mini bike again. The specs say it turns really slow. (top 2400 in the owner's manual) So dang perfect. The only reduction is a clutch to a huge sprocket. Really could be done with some mods. Would need wide cranks and some sort of jackshaft set up. Just so much engine. Harbor freight had the same mini bike (looked identical and same CCs) for $299. Just sayin' I am going to really look for more mini bike conversion ideas. Is a good one Bruce.

LOL Weedy, the "d" and "b" thing. Had the same problem for ever and Dan is my real name! Capital, I know but ya think it would have sunk in. Ah well. Just glad I wasn't medicated for it in school. Wait, I might have been. hehe

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Went looking at that mini bike again. The specs say it turns really slow. (top 2400 in the owner's manual) So dang perfect. The only reduction is a clutch to a huge sprocket. Really could be done with some mods. Would need wide cranks and some sort of jackshaft set up. Just so much engine. Harbor freight had the same mini bike (looked identical and same CCs) for $299. Just sayin' I am going to really look for more mini bike conversion ideas. Is a good one Bruce.

LOL Weedy, the "d" and "b" thing. Had the same problem for ever and Dan is my real name! Capital, I know but ya think it would have sunk in. Ah well. Just glad I wasn't medicated for it in school. Wait, I might have been. hehe
Keep me posted, Dan. I've put the project on the back burner for now, but I'll be interested to hear about any new design ideas. (^)

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Do you have any more photos? All I can see is that tiny pic by your screen name. I've thought about a pusher trailer. I'm interested in more details.
Here's some older pics. It now has a new Blue Pacific Bike and the trailer is black with new Flat Free tires with gray rims. Also has more lights now, see sig.

The trailer was a way to use a big engine that won't fit on the bike.

You can make a trailer with the minibike, so the part you ride on is still a bicycle, and you have no HOT engine between your legs.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Love that drive system Znane!! Just so cool. With cargo capacity too. Awesome. Wanted to ask you how is she in turns? with that much power, does the pusher spin tires? In general, handling and spin out. I want to do one with 1 wheel and am wondering. (use the weight of the engine to create a low center of gravity so trailer stays up right)

Last edited:

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
Very clever, using a hand truck for the trailer. I have the same questions as Dan regarding traction, handling, and stability. Also, are just the bicycle brakes sufficient with the increased inertia? Rather than connecting it to the bike at the seat post, would there be an advantage to connecting it to the rear axle? As much as I'm always wanting to try new things, I am building MBs with the intention of eventually selling them (only when I'm tired of playing with them and want something different). As creative and functional as your design may be, well, let's face it, it just isn't particularly beautiful to look at, is it? I know that when I sell a MB, looks is at least as big a factor as function when it comes to negotiating a price.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Looks matter for selling, sure. If I had the resources at the time, it would have been pretty. Also, bike engine kits were ~$400 or more at the time back then, and wasn't feasible for me. My goal was necessity, not selling a bike at the time.

When I built my trailer, I had only $10, a broken bicycle, and two junky cars due to my job/living situation. I scrapped them to get ~400 for both cars, and built from that. Looks were 2nd priority for me, compared to walking, or being helpless.

Now I have a cheap, and reliable vehicle over 6 months later, and have no regrets! This vehicle has allowed me to make friendships, and learn so much about people and the environment, self independence, and has allowed me to travel between jobs, when I would have been completely grounded and depressed if I still only had a car.

Now when things get better, I'll be having a beautiful customized full-suspension bicycle with a rack-mounted engine, that will be for sale, but ONLY for the right person with the right $$$. If I get no buyers, than that's GREAT, because I won't sell my main transportation without a good profit to continue to keep riding.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
If you can build that on tight budget, you can build any thing. I am looking forward to seeing whats next!

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
If you can build that on tight budget, you can build any thing. I am looking forward to seeing whats next!
Thanks Dan. There's more to come. I already have Trailer #2 in the works, the frame is built from heavy fence posts, and all welded together, and I'm using a pocket bike wheel & sprocket. Those parts were free because they were salvage that people were throwing away. The frame is done, but I have to build the hitch, and make a throttle hookup. I'll use my 6.5HP 196cc engine from the trailer I have now and put it on the new trailer. I also have an old 2 or 3 HP B&S engine to replace the 6.5 with, so both trailers will have engines.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
hey ryder, I know I am reviving an old topic but i just seen this thread cause I just spotted a cheap mini bike myself and it looks like it would make a great pusher set up. Your use of a dolly and that engine is genius. good job man

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
at dick sporting goods in my town they had the same minibike on sale for $150,it says it goes around 15-20mph,i found it hard to pass on that one,it had almost everything i would need for my bike but i didnt think the engine would fit my bike and i couldnt turn the minibike into a bicycle.maybe my next build i get one and use the parts.