Boost Bottle

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I've never used one myself, but from all the research I've done in the past, I'd say it's complete bull.

If memory serves me right, I believe the idea behind the boost bottle is that some of the pressure & fuel from each cycle is stored and released from the bottle, giving the engine some extra boost each time. But I'm pretty sure that's impossible because I think there's almost always negative pressure in the intake neck. I've never seen anyone actually prove that they make any difference what so ever. If you really want to try it, you'd save a lot of money just making your own out of PVC pipe and end-caps. They're not that difficult to make. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you're getting more horse-power.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
They're another in a long list of placebo go-fast items. Iridium spark plugs, high velocity air filters, open exhaust, anythging made of billet aluminum; they all make the user 'feel' better but offer no real performance gains.

Tom

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I think that's the first time I've heard someone say that Iridium plugs aren't worth it. I've never used one, but it seemed like nearly everyone says that they improve performance.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
They are expensive, that's for sure. When is the last time you heard someone say that their expensive go-faster wasn't worth it?

:)

We tried platinum plugs in our ultralights and they weren't really worth the extra money.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I think that's the first time I've heard someone say that Iridium plugs aren't worth it. I've never used one, but it seemed like nearly everyone says that they improve performance.
They are designed/made for high milage a hundred thousand plus, but they aren't going to improve the performance of our little engines. As I said, the users will swear by the performance gains but if there is any they would be undiscernable in actual horse power comparisons.

Using high octane gasoline is another performance myth. Those who burn it love it, but there is nothing to be gained by increasing octane in a small unsophisticated 2 stroke engine. But, the oil companies will love you for it.

Tom