break-in question

GoldenMotor.com

sterno666

Jul 19, 2010
Louisiana
How does oil and oil mix ratio affect engine life and performance? I've read that some fuel/oil mixes during break in can increase fuel efficiency and others increase speed performance.

Is any of this true or is it just voodoo?

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
Hardly worth losign sleep over it.

However breaking it in is important. A proper break in will ensure it lasts for a lot longer. If you ever took a metalworking class, you would know that as you heat up metal and cool it, the hardness of the metal is affected, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Pure hoodoo.

Break in the engine by changing throttle opening and engine speed. Never load or "bog" the engine down, and don't run down long hills with the throttle closed.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
I just ran through the first tank on my Dax 2 stroke replacement. What I notice is that it acts like it wants to take off but just cant and goes back to clunking along, exhaust starts to sound good and then it runs clunky and bumpy. I did notice that idle changed from initially a hair high and has settled into a nice pop pop pop after the first run and is holding there.

Edit: Forget it, I read the instructions again and it only says take it easy for the first 500 miles. I'll just vary the throttle from off to full and not load it down(pedal at first sign of strain) and use throttle on downhill and hope for improvement.

Last edited: