Engine Selection question

GoldenMotor.com

BostonBiker

Sep 4, 2009
Boston
So I've decided that I'm going to build myself a motorized bike. Only thing is, I'm not quite sure what kind of engine to get. i plan on customizing the frame to fit the engine, so will it fit is not a problem. I dont plan on keeping the pedals on the frame and am going for a motorcycle-ish look/feel for the frame, so not having to push the thing or pull a cord is ideal, but cords i can deal with. I live in one of the many Boston suburbs and it fairly hilly in my area, unfortunately horrible roads are also an issue. So not only are there bad roads and hills, there are many ppl in my town that would gladly call the town/police to complain about someone w/ a loud engine early in the morning. I'd like to keep the engine under $200 deff, but under or around $150 ideally. so it need to be able to get me up decent hills (I'm around 150 lbs) and i would like to be able to easily cruise anywhere from 20-35 depending on where i am/going, and would like to be able to go 40 with out feeling like the engine is about to fall apart... I'd also like to be able to use the set of disc brakes i already have w/o having to do any more customizing then necessary, or having to reroute the chain from one side to the other, so preferably the chain for the engine would be on the right, but if necessary i would appreciate any suggestions of how to easily reroute the chain. Any and all suggestions welcome...

Thank you

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't think you can get both for 200... Hey pablo maybe you guys should sell a combo plate like a Chinese restaurant.

BostonBiker

Sep 4, 2009
Boston
well if its worth it i'll pay more, but how much do you think it would be? and i dont think i'll need a mounting kit, since i'm going to try to get the engine to mount straight to the frame

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
I have to agree with Venice Boy. I have a typical 66 cc engine with a jackshaft kit from Pablo; I can do the hill climbing and speed you want to do. If you want torque to climb hills yet top out at 40 mph or more, you will need multiple gear ratios. An engine is basically either engaged or disengaged (these clutches are very bad at gradual engagement); you need to get your bike rolling at 5 mph or faster to engage the clutch. That and multiple gears means you will need pedals. (Also with pedals, Use them to start the engine. When the engine will not start or you run out of gas, you have alternative means to get around.) The speed you want will be best given with the rear wheel derailler. To keep noise down, use the stock muffler and don't do wide open throttle in the populated neighborhoods. As with any machine, if you want more abilities, you must be ready to lay out more money. (I lived for seven years in the Dedham / Needham / Norwood areas. Where are you located?)

MikeJ

BostonBiker

Sep 4, 2009
Boston
any way i could put a kick start on it or a ripcord or something? cuz i dont exactly have an extra crankset... and running out of gas is not something i worrry about, i have slight OCD when it comes to that kind of thing. i live in belmont...