Rubber mount

GoldenMotor.com

superhawk

Sep 14, 2008
Just got one of China 66cc motors and looking at the flimsy stock mounts, I decided to make them better. At the same time, make them rubber mounted and adjustable side to side.
This is what I came up with for now, I would've made the mounts out of aluminum but steel is more forgiving in the first design, besides my aluminum TIG welding sucks.
The rubber inserts are front sway bar link rubbers from a 5 litre Mustang turned down to fit. They are made of polyurthane which are quite hard.I may use a softer rubber later.The feel gauge(0.004) in one of the pics. is the clearance so the motor can move up + down but not twist from side to side. The weak spot is the stock 6mm threaded mounting holes on the motor, if they strip out I'll helicoil them as there doesn't seem to be enough meat for 8mm maybe 7mm.Hopefully this design won't throw the drive chain, then a head steady will be necessary.
My rubber mount design is a flagrant copy of the ones on the Norton Commando motorcycle, so feel free to use any and all of these ideas. I have yet to make the front frame clamp/mount. By the way, that's a Creative Engineering & Design clutch housing, real slick.

Attachments

Last edited:

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I finished the front motor mount today, I think I overbuilt the whole system, I probably could mount a small block Chevy in the bicycle.
I hope this works, spent way too much time on this project.
I bet you make that time back up not haveing to retighten every screw and bolt after every ride from vibration. Nice work!

superhawk

Sep 14, 2008
Very nice, indeed... any chance you want to sell those mounts?
Thanks for the compliments, however this system is untested yet and I hope to test it this weekend.The one in the pics. are a one-off to fit on this Norco cruiser. If this works, then I will design a system which is much simpler and adjustable to fit different types of frames.
I don't plan to make -to -sell, however I will post plans and dimensions when I'm done.

superhawk

Sep 14, 2008
Had a few issues with the muffler,the header pipe had to be lengthened and muffler braced to the motor to move with the motor.The chain was too short as the rear motor mount moved the motor more forward than stock.I had to find a #41 chain(only sold in 10' lengths) or a 415 chain, most bicycle shops never heard of a 415 chain.I spent last week getting my pocket bike powered bicycle running, totally stoked on how it runs. Will post on progress on this project shortly.

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
Good looking mounts. They take up some room, though.

They would work on my Huffy Comfort or KHS but not on the Trek. I don't even have room for a shoehorn on the Trek Cruiser Classic. :(

Gonna have to use a shorty plug and 90° plug wire on it, too. Also have a 90° carb throttle linkage running around somewhere in my head. Just have to find it.

Yeah, horizontal adjustability is always nice for chain lines.

Ted

superhawk

Sep 14, 2008
"All dressed up and nowhere to go" Hi Neat Times, the great white north is a little bit frozen up right now , so no chance to fully test the mounts yet, will definitely update.The weak point is the small 6mm studs on the front slotted holes just like u thought, the rear mount has a small brace to the one of the clutch actuator bolts for a more rigid affair.
As a footnote, I have another China Girl motor and it has bolted on flywheel weights and the one pictured has no bolt on flywheel weights. I wonder what the difference in vibration levels?

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HI HAWK, YOUR BUILD LOOKS GREAT, THE MOUNTS LOOK REAL GOOD ALSO.
IT IS T SHIRT WEATHER DOWN HERE. I AM FROM N WISCONSIN, BEEN HERE 18 YRS. LOVE THESE WINTERS!! I PUT YOUR PICTURES IN MY MB PICS FOLDER. SOME DAYS I LOOK AT ALL THE PICS (100`S OF THEM) AND IT GETS ME ACTIVATED!! rotfl HAVE YOU SEEN ALL THE NEW EMOCONS BY HIKER? HE LIVES IN MICHIGAN, WHERE YOU AT?? ITS COOL WHEN MEMBERS HAVE THEIR LOCATION AT THE TOP OF THEIR POSTS. MAKES IT MORE INTERESTING. HOPE YOU KEEP POSTING! RON.boogy1a.blady.fly

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HI EBMVEGAN, I GUESS LIVE FAST HAS NO CLAM HUBS FOR REAR SPROCKET FOR SALE AT PRESENT. THANKS FOR THE PICS. IS THERE SPACERS BETWEEN THE CLAM AND THE SPROCKET TO KEEP IT OFF THE SPOKES? LATER, RON lowriderldaxtitg

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
HI EBMVEGAN, I GUESS LIVE FAST HAS NO CLAM HUBS FOR REAR SPROCKET FOR SALE AT PRESENT. THANKS FOR THE PICS. IS THERE SPACERS BETWEEN THE CLAM AND THE SPROCKET TO KEEP IT OFF THE SPOKES? LATER, RON lowriderldaxtitg
There is a lip on the clam shell that sits right below where the spokes connect to the hub. The lip on the spacer that attaches to the sprocket itself may need to be grinded down if there are alignment issues. The kit does come with a thinner rubber spacer as well the cusion the attachment, but I haven't used it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
What's REALLY peaked my interest here is that chain tensioner! I love the way he mounted it & it gives me some really good ideas! .weld dance1

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
superhawk
I've looked at your work it seems very nice. With all the cold weather and your skills get your self a hood skin at the auto body shop and knock out a tuned pipe and ditch that sucky muffler.
Norman

Last edited: