My first engine sale to an 84 year old

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Right the single bolt is a pivit point and will flex on it if you put a second bolt as close to the hub as you can get it will not flex or pivit..............Curt

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Yea Ok I thought about it last night and get what you are saying. THANKS!!! A real wealth of knowlegde here...

I will pass it along to him but he may not be done yet and may have other ideas up his sleeve ... we will see :)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I hope I'm still alive at 84, let alone having the ambition to work on anything...Impressive!
Yeah Be-tech, I'm only 57 and startin to worry about how long till I can't ride anymore. A couple heart attacks, a double by-pass, congestive heart failure, COPD, two angioplasties, two stents and a defibrillator implant tends to kinda slow one down a tad. Not complaining at all, just explaining. I still get out to the shop and do what I can. The defib implant is still healing so I'm still taking it easy, but I'll be riding by next month again no matter what. Well, Unless I'm dead or somethin.
LIVE TO RIDE,
RIDE TO LIVE.
And keep the shiney side up.
fatdaddy.usflg

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Well I went over today as he needed some extra chain and I had some for him. I told him what you guys said and he pointed out that he has two holes already in the hub to prevent that. LOL with 84 years experience I guess ya learn a thing or two.

He tried to buy some wider peddle extensions to clear motor but can only find 5/8 threaded peddles and the bike being older the peddles are 1/2 inch.

Any suggestions to solve that on this 1950 schwinn? I told him I would look into it but I dont no where I can find something that would help him....

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
GOT WELDER? Build yer own wider peddle crank. If no welder, get a muffler shop to weld it together for ya. Their always cheaper than a shop that does welding only.
Big Red.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Ok so he had everything hooked up and turns out the carb choke was broken off at some point. This motor was purchased through bikeberry and after talking with Jennifer she requested a picture of the broken part. I sent that in for Jack and immediately she returned the email saying they were sorry and a new carb was sent out.

I have called them several times over different things. I have talked with Jennifer three times and two other people. If you deal with Bikeberry ask for Jennifer she is knowledgable, compassionate, and very professional. The other two were, to say it nicely, uh well no way to say it nicely so i will leave it at that....just ask for Jennifer and if thier is something they can do for you it will get done quick and correctly.

So wont be long we shall see the finished product soon :) Once he gets motor going he is going to paint it as well! He solved his pedal problem by just bending them out...

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Quote: [He solved his pedal problem by just bending them out...]:end quote.
That works, but makes the pedals feel weird when ya pedal it. But hey, all ya do is pedal to start it anyway.
fatdaddy.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Well the old guy has it up and running :) Here is the "finished" product. He has to tidy up a few things and having MAYBE and issue he asked me about. He says when it gets to top end speed he gets some sputtering. When you back off the throttle when that happens just a bit it goes away and runs like a charm. He doesn’t know if it is a restrictor of sorts or an issue that he can solve. Any thoughts?

Oh and the story does not stop here. He told me yesterday he is building a "side car" which will be a basket :)

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Sounds like it's running lean. Try adding a little choke when it's acting up to see if it runs better, to verify this symptom.

BikeBerryJen

Engine Diva
Oct 25, 2012
SoCal
Ok so he had everything hooked up and turns out the carb choke was broken off at some point. This motor was purchased through bikeberry and after talking with Jennifer she requested a picture of the broken part. I sent that in for Jack and immediately she returned the email saying they were sorry and a new carb was sent out.

I have called them several times over different things. I have talked with Jennifer three times and two other people. If you deal with Bikeberry ask for Jennifer she is knowledgable, compassionate, and very professional. The other two were, to say it nicely, uh well no way to say it nicely so i will leave it at that....just ask for Jennifer and if thier is something they can do for you it will get done quick and correctly.

So wont be long we shall see the finished product soon :) Once he gets motor going he is going to paint it as well! He solved his pedal problem by just bending them out...
I'm always happy to help out! .cs.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
don't under estimate these older folk's, they are the one's that went to the moon,built our highway system. and don't forget kicked hitler's ass and started the whole atomic thing. lot's of respect for our older folk's. when made in the u.s.a. was the norm. not the exception. god bless Jack. bet he's got some good story's to tell. and good job jennifer! dennis