Hoot Noise

GoldenMotor.com

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
OK, I did the basics 'upgrades' on the hoot that came with my 4 stroke kit and the bike is back on the road. The hoot is a loud, angry, screaming little bugger and reaches 150 decrease on tr he case surface after a ride.
Any suggestions on quieting things down a bit with soundproofing I read about people using spray on materials; plastic, truck linner, and so forth inside of clutch covers, would this work in a greased up hoot or has anyone discovered a better workout?
The engine sounds great, I just have a hard time hearing it our the angry screams.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
there is no real way to solve the noise other than get another tranny either a 4g qmatic or a cvt from a gocart place..

the hoot has straight gears from what i hear and its the reason its loud as heck angled gears like in a regular car are far less noisy..

if you cant afford it then take it apart and grease the gears with high quality hi temp grease.. there was a forum on useing oil and sealing it up but not sure..

again the hoot sucks swap it out pronto if you canr.ly.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Any suggestions on quieting things down a bit with soundproofing I read about people using spray on materials; plastic, truck linner, and so forth inside of clutch covers, would this work in a greased up hoot or has anyone discovered a better workout?
The engine sounds great, I just have a hard time hearing it our the angry screams.
Inside the gearbox would not work but i have seen pics of
material like a mouse pad stuck on the outside of a Hoot box
in an attempt to quiet it down.

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
I realize any long term survival is hopeless, just trying to make do for now. This version of the Hoot does have angled gears inside.

I shimed behind the clutch, behind the clutch housing, and used a longer lower profile bolt to fit behind the cover. The gears mesh together pretty even and I packed with Red & Tackey #2 grease along with 10 ml oil.

I have sprayed the exterior cover with three coats of a rubberized auto undercoat compound and am waiting for it to dry...Will update after a test run.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
theres little things you can do to try to quiet it down but all in all its chinese made gear driven thin walled gear box so not a whole lot can be done..

i do recommend the q matic best option would be a cvt that is if you have a 5/8 shaft and it can bolt up if not an adapter plate its all about cost how much you can afford..

i personally have the 4g it works only thing is the belt is a special belt from china the q matic uses a standard belt i can probably go into a auto store and buy plus it uses a gokart clutch which grip much harder and are much much better..

terry sells them for tapered and 5/8 for 260 time to save up

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
The coating actually has helped, I can hear the motor over the gearbox...small victory. Most everything I have read on the q-matic has been positive, need to read up a bit more on the cvt option.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
The coating actually has helped, I can hear the motor over the gearbox...small victory. Most everything I have read on the q-matic has been positive, need to read up a bit more on the cvt option.
im glad that worked for you dance1

they make 2 models for the q matic 5/8 shaft version and the tapered shaft one so if you have either motor it will work

the cvt i was talking about has to be for the 5/8 shaft.. now you will have to reasearch as to if it will just bolt up or you have to have a machine company machine out a adapter plate or you can just redrill and tap new holes yourself.. i dont really know i just read somewhere that someone did it but im not sure how or who cant remember...

only reason i think its better is because well it shifts per speed you wont need a sbp shifter just make sure the gears you get will work the output and the one on the wheel...

i want the qmatic seems pretty good and it has a gocart clutch which is the best clutches no slip and designed for this stuff.. and all american parts whooo hooo lol

here is what i found its for a gx 35 though Honda CVT drive bike - YouTube you can ask the poster about it http://motorbicycling.com/f3/cvt-large-sprocket-5719.html and this forum Honda GXH50 + CVT Some questions - MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum

this is what i found with a 2 minute search.. now im looking at them hehe

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
they make 2 models for the q matic 5/8 shaft version and the tapered shaft one so if you have either motor it will work
The EZ Motorbike Q Matic does not work with the tapered shaft version of the Huasheng 50 cc 4 stroke which has the clutch built into the side of the motor.

However the Q matic will work with any shaft diameter as it's just a matter of
changing the front v belt pulley.

i personally have the 4g it works only thing is the belt is a special belt from china the q matic uses a standard belt i can probably go into a auto store and buy
The belt for the Grubee 4G is not a special belt from China. There is a thread here where we
found the belt for sale when all the MB dealers were out of stock.

HTD 570-5M-16 114 teeth Grubee SkyHawk 4G T-Belt Drive

Last edited:

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
Great info, much appreciated. I have the HS 142F, and I know the clutch is not attatched as I removed it to place a shim behind it to better mesh the gears. It would appear then that I have the 5/8 straight shaft which would leave me with both the q-matic and Grubee 4 option.

I found the grubee 4 on for sale at bicycle-engine for $140, which looks like it would bolt right on with no further adjustment. I have read about an issue or two with the grubee 4, have those been resolved on the current models being sold?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
From researching the new 4G I have learned that the new and improved one way sprocket...... isn't.
They still fail it's just they take longer to fail.
Have it welded solid or replace it with a solid sprocket.

Tahq

Sep 2, 2011
Corona, CA
Hmmm, that is what I was concerned about, kind of leaves me leaning toward the q-matic. I was thinking of going with the carb and cam kit also and hoping it could push the q-matic 60 tooth through hills with the extra power as opposed to going the shift kit route....so many decisions.
I will say I re-coated the Hoot with 3 coats of spray on truck bed liner and it has noticeably cut down the box noise. I was a little concerned that it would trap in to much heat, but the exterior temp went from 150 degrees only down to 144 degrees.
The hoot is holding for now, but it is my nature to tear down and improve, so I see changes coming soon.

Last edited: