Horizontal 2 Stoke.

GoldenMotor.com

chefmasterj

Oct 11, 2010
Oakland, Cali
I'm about to start a build and was wondering if anyone has done a Horizontal Mount with one of the China 2 Strokes?
I know the intake has to be vertical, anyone else have any experience or pictures?
thanks

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I"m not too sure what you mean exactly by a horizontal 2 stroke mount.
The intake needs to be as horizontal as possible, not vertical.
The carburetor float inside the float bowl must level, or close to it.
(horizontal means level like the ground, ------
vertical means up and down like a flag pole)
A two stroke motor can be mounted any way you want as long as the carb remains level, unless you use a pulse/diaphram carb like a weed whacker has.

TIm

chefmasterj

Oct 11, 2010
Oakland, Cali
I'm saying horizontal as in the bore being parallel to the ground(horizontal). This would probably require a custom frame, or possibly one of the stretched frames.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As the man said; a 2 cycle engine can be mounted any way you want. There's no oil in the crankcase to worry about. If space is the problem then, yes, you might need a modified frame. His advice on the carburetor is also correct. Must set close to level.
All of the 2 stroke engines have built in mounts. Installing the engine in another configuration will require special mounting surfaces that will need to be solidly integral to the bike's frame.
Just curious, why do you want to mount the engine that way?
Tom

chefmasterj

Oct 11, 2010
Oakland, Cali
I looked at the crankcase and it looks like it would be alright to have it horizontal, possibly have to modify one side.. I was going to angle it so I can put a custom saddle in with the engine below, as well as a tank setup creating a longer streamline, and altogether lower design. The standard mounting orientation just wouldn't work with the design. I'll keep you guys posted!
The mockup is essentially what I'm talking about, compared to the Worksman, it looks about 4 inches lower and about 6 inches longer, roughly.

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I looked at the crankcase and it looks like it would be alright to have it horizontal, possibly have to modify one side.. I was going to angle it so I can put a custom saddle in with the engine below, as well as a tank setup creating a longer streamline, and altogether lower design. The standard mounting orientation just wouldn't work with the design. I'll keep you guys posted!
The mockup is essentially what I'm talking about, compared to the Worksman, it looks about 4 inches lower and about 6 inches longer, roughly.
Jus' a thought...

If you're going through the effort of custom fabricating a frame to facilitate a "longer... and altogether lower design" ...have you considered a new/used moped engine? They're of a much higher quality than the Chinese kit engines w/a plenitude of groovy aftermarket parts: treatland - they're not common on motorized bicycles due to they fact they're horizontal, which in this case may not be a problem...

Mukura

Nov 30, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Jus' a thought...

If you're going through the effort of custom fabricating a frame to facilitate a "longer... and altogether lower design" ...have you considered a new/used moped engine? They're of a much higher quality than the Chinese kit engines w/a plenitude of groovy aftermarket parts: treatland - they're not common on motorized bicycles due to they fact they're horizontal, which in this case may not be a problem...
Ha, nice one - I've been looking at them this week too - here a China girl kit is near enough to $300, for the same money you can pick up a pit bike new, or a better quality one second hand for maybe even less. Wrecked scooters run at about $450ish, and you get all the lighting with it too - bonus. And you don't need pedals to register as moped, just under 50cc and 2kW output.

Thing is these bikes have small wheels, but that can be worked around. This comming weekend I'm picking up a Suzuki TS50 (Gaucho), I got it for $50, tank and seat are busted, and apparently the motor smokes (funny being 2 stroke). The point of that exercise yields me 21" wheels, tripple tree & forks, maybe a wiring loom, and fun stuff to re-purpose.

Still - having said all of that, I'm dedicated to doing likewise to OP and going horizontal with one of the kits I already have spare - WHY?

Well, why not - I mean, why would you spend the winter months mucking about with trying to reinvent the wheel anyway... Remember, the key to all forms of rocking is style!

.wee.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I've seen it done as a rack mount style, using the seat post as the front motor mount and a custom plate over the back wheel. That's as horizontal as I've seen china girls.