In-Frame Boardtrack gas tanks

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
there are a lot of older frames that use almost the same dimensions for their frames. like Columbia and Cleveland Welding frames, and some others that slip my mind right now, but a lot of manufacturers built bikes for numerous companies, stores, etc.

with a little research, you might be able to make a "one size fits most" tank, or a tank with a few compromises to allow it to fit other bikes. that'd help with the "panther exclusive" situation.

i'm trying to figure out how to type this so it makes sense, but you might be able to use part of your panther tank patterns with pieces cut to fit another style frame. know what i mean? like, you could make a stack of pieces and take what you need. top section of the panther combined with the bottom of a columbia, sides from this, from that...

i'd guess it's all about how much you want to get involved, and what the demand is. there might not be too much call for my 1939 colson or a 1939 Rocket Bike (see pic...)

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Bairdco,
Wow, that bike is cool! Never seen one of those before. I hear what your saying about frames being similar. I did a typhoon frame tank which was smaller, and I think the "twin straightbar" tornado is the same opening dimension and would just require a different bolt hole location for the mounting brackets. In fact the twin straight bar frames give a perfect flat surface for the tank to rest on. I think this picture is a tornado. It's hard to tell in the picture but there are two middle tubes. I almost bought this frame, but passed.

Attachments

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
we are know making two stiles of tanks one is a universal in frame tank and our other tank is a streched bober stile tank with two sizes of tunnels ones a 1" tunnel the other is a 1-1/4" tunnel all tanks are $150
Ya outa start a thread w/more info on those man - construction technique, material, specific sizes, etc.

They're sweet! How large a production run you goin' for? They could end up bein' real popular lol

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
That would be sweet... grubee has that gt2 with the built in gas tank..... ampt also has a frame with built in gas tank but sportscarpat can make the american version frame and tank....

OleSkool

Dec 19, 2009
West WI
I figure a low profile wrap around/over fuel tank with a board track look and room to hide a coil vs a standard kit tank would fit most applications and sell. Throw in a bent seat post and a hairpin retro seat and you have the look!

MrBeantown

Nov 26, 2008
Boston
If I can get one of the bike frames you mentioned I would love to buy one of these tanks from you. This is exactly the style I am looking to get from my next project.
Really really nice work!

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I have a 1952 straightbar Panther frame available and should have another tank finished in about a week. I was thinking about selling a frame and tank package. The frame already has the idler tab for a tensioner sprocket welded on and I can include a layback seat post and board track bars as well. I just scored a Worksman INB frame as well and plan to figure out a nice tank design for it. Still a few weeks out but it is going to happen.

Reactions: chainmaker

Luugo86

Aug 31, 2017
Hey Sprotscarpat,
Those are some great looking tanks for these board track replicas. I love building them, but always am unsatisfied with that eyesore tank sitting on top of the frame.
Do you produce and sell these?
Better yet, perhaps you could tell me what tools/equipment you required to build one and what your method was? I am a master welder so I have all that gear; however I am novice at metal shaping. Thank you for any info.

-Luugo