Great things your kids say.

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
My son is traveling through Mexico, Central and South America on his 2008 Yamaha 250cc dual sport. He's now in Bolivia and getting ready to go to Chile.

He has a blog and posts his travels as he goes. A lot of his friends are after him to let them send him money for Christmas. He said at the start that he would ride until he had enough money to get himself and the bike home to New Hampshire.

He sent this reply to them on his blog and I thought I would share it here.

Steve.

"You guys are killing me, with kindness! Thank you very much for the thought, really, more than I can ever express!
But financially, right now, I'm doing good. I'm a stubbornly proud individual, a character flaw I know , but I'm working on it, baby steps ya know. But if you want to do something for me buy dinner for a veteran you see in a restaurant, or a meal for the vet panhandling in the street and tell them it's from your buddy Jr. or a donation to the Veterans Fund. Then come on here and tell me the story. THAT would make me happy, and everybody far more richer for the experience. With all that's going on in our country right now it infuriates me that so many useless bags of air get a free hand out while so many Veterans get so little. It's not about political ideology, it's about what's right!
Sappy, I know, but it's something close to my heart.

Gracias amigos y Feliz Navidad."

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The next time you speak to your boy, tell him 'Thank You' from an old Vet.
You have to be very proud to call him your son.

Thanks for sharing with us, Steve. And, if possible could you post a link to his 'Ride Report'. I think a lot of us would enjoy reading it.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Tom,

I was thinking of you and others here when that when I wrote.

I was just getting his ride report info when you posted. He's on Adventure Riders. The first thread is Ride Reports-Epic Rides and these are the folks who are riding long distances in different countries and around the world.
Interesting site for those of us who have or are riding motorcycles.

He explained why he did it in his first post but then messed up Smug Mug and cleaned out a lot of his photos so there are a lot of missing photos.

Here is his thread and I hope you enjoy it because he tends to ask just where that trail leads and then follows it. He's not a fair weather and paved road rider.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/a-yankee-goes-south.1014633/

Steve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, Steve. I'm familiar with A-R. That's where I read the story of the couple on little underbones who rode 'Around the World'. I'll certainly be tagging onto you boy's RRs.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Tom,

I remember some one posting their trip on here. They seemed to do quite well with them.

I was telling my son that we should do the ride on motorbikes just to make it interesting. He sent me a couple of photos of bikes with China Girls on them that he had seen on his travels but he has yet to commit to the ride.

Steve,