Honda GS190 damage question

GoldenMotor.com

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Everyone,

I thought I would seek some information from those more knowledgeable about engines than me. I recently had my exhaust pipe break off at the flange while riding around. I limped it back home with the exhaust tied together, but with a 3/8" gap between the flange and the motor. I rose like this for 5 or 6 miles.

My engine has been sitting for a while (reconfiguring bike for the willow springs race) and I just started it up tonight. The engine started and seems to run ok, put it is harder to pull start than it was before. There is more resistance at TDC, as if there's more compression.

My question is, can/did running the bike with no exhaust damage the engine? It is an overhead cam engine. What would/could get damaged by running the engine with no exhaust? I am guessing some kind of exhaust valve damage.

Thanks for the help,

Gilbert

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I think I found the problem, if anyone else ever runs across this. Pulled off the valve cover and adjusted the clearances helped a little, but basically still hard to pull.

Checked out the compression release mechanism that is mounted on camshaft pulley. It looks like its not functioning properly. Does not spring back when pulled, missing or broken spring I guess. Have to order new camshaft pulley. Hopefully it arrives before the race on Sept. 7th. I was really looking forward to attending.

Gilbert