4g drive for next build?

GoldenMotor.com

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Ok, I just put together the BikeBerry 142f kit on a 29 Astra. It seems ok, I enjoy riding it. I want to do another for my daughter to ride with me, only they are currently sold out. I can't seem to find the same kit anywhere. Can anybody give me some input on the 4g belt drive kits? I was hoping for a bolt up and go deal, and from reading the forum I think that is not the case with this drive. I am not asking for rants with the hoot drive I already have, I plan after the warranty if I have issues to possibly upgrade to the Qmatic. Just looking for entry level fun for now, but with some reliability until the upgrades will be needed. I just don't want to get too involved with modifying if it requires too much headache. Thanks for any input on this matter.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Just for reference, the HS49 that the Bikeberry 4G uses and the HS49 that the Q-Matic uses are different engines.
The Bikeberry engine has the short tapered output shaft.
The Q-Matic has the long 5/8" diameter shaft.
If you want a Q-Matic, get the whole kit with the engine included.

The Q-Matic is an awesome kit!
The Bikeberry 4G that I have in my garage I wish I never bought.
I wanted a long shaft 4G like what Bicycle-Engines offers.
*Sigh* Live and learn...

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
Just for reference, the HS49 that the Bikeberry 4G uses and the HS49 that the Q-Matic uses are different engines.
The Bikeberry engine has the short tapered output shaft.
The Q-Matic has the long 5/8" diameter shaft.
If you want a Q-Matic, get the whole kit with the engine included.

The Q-Matic is an awesome kit!
The Bikeberry 4G that I have in my garage I wish I never bought.
I wanted a long shaft 4G like what Bicycle-Engines offers.
*Sigh* Live and learn...
Something I've been wondering for quite a while now. Since both HS 49s are basically the same engine made from the same company with the only difference being the output part of the crankshaft would it be possible to just buy a HS49 crankshaft with the 5/8" output to replace the tapered shaft that is in the engine? I mean the crankshafts are like $39 or so. Would be much cheaper than buying a replacement engine.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
From what I have learned on this site, the crankshaft can be easily swapped out but...
The crankcase side covers are different too. Engines with the short tapered shaft have a side cover to accommodate the clutch, sort of a recessed cavity where the clutch lives.
The long shaft engine's side cover lacks this cavity. It is "flush" relative to the rest of the casting with the accessory mounting bosses having a different hole pattern than the short shaft engine.
You would need to change both the crank shaft and side cover to completely convert your current engine to a long shaft version.