Cranbrook with a Huasheng 49cc

GoldenMotor.com

Smokoatay

Jul 20, 2013
Houston
I've been trying to find somebody who has done this that could tell me what to expect to have to change. Are the stock wheels okay on these? How does the engine fit? And is there anything else I will need to change (besides fender removal) to make this work and be safe? The kit is from bicycle-engines. Thanks for the help

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
There is at least one member here who has installed a Predator engine in a cranbrook, so a huasheng will probably fit. The rear wheel should be ok as long as you properly install the rear sprocket and it doesn't interfere with the dust cap. I installed a rag joint on a cranbrook wheel and tried to modify the dust cap (on the coaster brake assembly) to fit. Either modifying the dust cap or possibly improper re-assembly of the hub caused the bearings to fail. The wheel itself is fine, just make sure you re-assemble the hub properly. You'll need more than just a coaster brake. Your options include front and rear rim brakes, which can bolt to both fender mounting holes, and you should use a dual pull brake lever to control them, or just a front rim brake but you may find yourself going through pads quickly. There are also drum brakes and discs. Drums are easy to install, you just need a wheel that has a drum and you can use a bracket to clamp the brake arm to the fork. Disc conversion is going to be more expensive. You will either need a disc compatible fork, which will cost about as much as a wheel with a drum, plus a disc brake wheel, pads, rotor and calipers, or you can use an adapter plate on a non disc fork but you will still need all the other components for the conversion. Drums are cheaper than converting to disc. Good luck with your build.

DudeManBro

Jun 27, 2013
Wisconsin
I installed a 49 cc huasheng on a cranbrook last month. Be prepared to add front and rear brakes, Change the stock coaster break wheel to a free wheel. Also change both the tire tubes to thorn resistant. The stock tubes in the bike are pieces of junk and will blowout. When installing the wide pedal kit, make sure you have a propane torch handy. there will be two aluminum rings, that will not allow the wide pedal kit to be properly installed. They are held there with some sort of caulk. Just heat them up and pry them out. Also buy a 12" treaded rod, 2 nuts and 2 washers, for clearance reasons you'll need to spread the seatstays and chainstays. There is a thread that goes into deeper discussion about this process. If you are buying this bike preassembled from walmart, like I did, make sure you go over it and make sure everything is correctly assembled and tight. They do a horrible job at assembly. I'm pretty sure they take all the employees without their GEDs and make them assemble the bikes. Had I not properly reinstalled everything, I probably would be dead. Hope these tips help. OHHHHHHHH, and remove those fenders. They look nice, but are pieces of crap, and are probably installed incorrectly.

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
I couldnt think of a more uncomfortable bike to motorize. sit on a few bikes at walmart and find a better fit....

DudeManBro

Jun 27, 2013
Wisconsin
Put a larger seat on the bike also like I did and comfort won't be an issue. It's an extremely easy to ride and comfortable motorized bicycle.

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
I've been trying to find somebody who has done this that could tell me what to expect to have to change. Are the stock wheels okay on these? How does the engine fit? And is there anything else I will need to change (besides fender removal) to make this work and be safe? The kit is from bicycle-engines. Thanks for the help
Hows the Cranny doing? I just got one also