No brakes!

GoldenMotor.com

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
I was out today, on my 49 (68.5)cc occ stingray, going down a hill when i realized that i had no brakes! When i stopped (with the help of my shoes) i looked and saw that the brake arm on the left was totaly gone! and the other brake was missing its screw! thankfully i found my brake arm at the top of the hill and i had some spare parts for the old brakes that used to be on there so i was able to fix it! I am still praising and thanking God that everything worked out 1 i didn't crash 2 i had the parts and 3 he gave me the wisdom to fix it.usflg

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
Try some LockTight 242 or the medium locking compound found at auto parts stores. I use this on brake mounting bolts, rack bolts etc.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Reminded me of the old 'Little Rascals' episode when they built the firetruck and were going down the hill. "Where's the brakes???" "Right here..." as Stimey held up the brake lever. :)
Glad you weren't hurt and could share your story with us. Brakes should be visually and mechanically checked often. They're more important than the drive system.
Tom

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
I saw a show once where this old man was installing brakes on a car he said "when i was a kid i was so focused on going fast,know the older i get i'm starting to think brakes a pretty darn cool"

Man walks into a Auto Store and asks for some big caliber brakes for his car the man at the counter say "sorry, we don't sell anything that makes your car go slower. LOL

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Speaking of brakes I keep trashing my brake arm. I stripped out the first one and replaced it with a hardened unit. That one twisted up like a pretzel, I think I'm going to swear off coaster brakes before I get killed. The trouble is I don't want to use caliper brakes and I like my sproket adapter so drum brakes on the back are out as I want to keep the antique look.

callahoochy

Aug 5, 2010
DC area
In the 1970s, after a disastrous, but fortunately, not tragic, collision due to failed brakes during a Formula 1 race, a spokesperson and member of the Ferrari family stepped to the podium to address the press regarding this embarrassment. In non-plussed style the man simply said, "Ferraris are made to go, not to stop".