rat bobber

GoldenMotor.com

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
heres my bike,it has home made forks ,there strong put around 600 miles on them,home made seat
post,and some cut 20 inch bmx bars,and a old rack from a old shcwinn,and home made trailer hitch,

Attachments

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Nice build with those extra long front forks IMO, thats a Rat Rod Chopper.

Welcome to the Stretch Cruiser, Low Rider, & Chopper Genre!!!

Here is some FYI history on Choppers & Bobbers:
Like any other sport or activity, motored cycle riders have a language of their own, including terms that leave the “civilian” population scratching its head in confusion. One such phrase I often hear bandied about at MotorBicycling.com is the term “old school.” Another oft-used word is “bobber.” Where do these phrases come from? What do they mean? What’s the actual definition of a “chopper?” And what’s with all these motored cycle motor monikers?

My post addresses or deals with the origins of the slang used in the world of motor bikes.

Let’s start with the term “chopper.” These days this word has come to mean any custom motored cycle. However, in its origins, this referred to a bike that has all the extra goodies chopped off to provide a bike with the minimum essentials required for operation. Fenders were cut down or off, smaller gas tanks were installed. Changing handlebars, forks or cutting the bike’s neck to alter the fork rake are all examples of “chopping” a bike.

In the ’40s and ’50s, “bobbing” a fender became popular. That’s where the rear of a fender is cut off, or the front section is removed and the fender is rotated forward to retain the ducktail look of the stock fender. In 1980, Mother Harley took its styling cue from what the riders were out there creating when it introduced the FXWG. The rear fender on this bike is called a Bobbed or a Bobber and its styling is still in use today on Softails and FXDWG models.

“Fat Bob” is another word we should discuss. This term came from a bike that still had the big 3 1/2-gallon gas tank, with a bobbed rear fender. Fat tanks, bobbed fender, hence Fat Bob. This style of bike generally had the stock width, stock length front end. These are all features add up to what is today’s “bobber.”

In the mid ’50s, Harley began production of the K model series bikes followed by the XL models in 1957. These smaller, lighter bikes had fork assemblies that where not as wide as the heavyweight bikes in production. During these years, the terms “wide glide” and “narrow glide” were coined. Fitted with 19-inch wheels, it was a popular notion to get rid of the fat tanks, scrap the wide front end and install the narrow glide front-end assembly on Big Twin (chop all that unneeded stuff off!) Willie G, the styling Guru at H-D followed this lead in the early ’70s. That’s where the frame and engine of an FL series bike was factory equipped with the fork assembly from an XL series bike. This marriage resulted in F (LH) + X (L) = FX. To this day, all FX series bike have 19- (or 21-) inch wheels. The factory has followed in the bike fashion field more often than they like to admit.

“Softail” is another word we can define. Prior to 1958, all Harley Big Twin models had rigid frames (hardtails). In 1958, the rear suspension styling from the K & XL was brought over to the FL series bikes. The shocks and swing-arm added a good bit of poundage to the heavyweight line. A very common thing to achieve a cleaner look for bike builders since the ’60s, is to use a pre ’57 or custom-built rigid frame (chop it down, get rid of the extra weight). When it arrived, the Softail copied the clean line of a rigid frame, with the wonderful advantage of rear suspension. Hence coining of the word “Softail.” I started out riding hardtails, because I didn’t know any better. As I get older, I’m less inclined to sacrifice comfort for looks.

But it’s hard to beat the clean appearance of a true chopper.

Peace Crazy Horse.

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
i always thought.i might be wrong .was a bobber was single seat (low as possible)and riding rigid frame with a sprung seat.with high handlebar reach.i might be wrong but thats my outlook on a bobber

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
i always thought.i might be wrong .was a bobber was single seat (low as possible)and riding rigid frame with a sprung seat.with high handlebar reach.i might be wrong but thats my outlook on a bobber
Looks like a fun ride, whatever it is called!
beentryin, i like your definition for a bobber! Your build is sweet and I'm sure will inspire others!!!

skyl4rk, i agree with you, no matter what this style build is, from what i see it'll be an awesome ride!

Congrats to you beentryin, on this amazing new build!!!!!!

Peace Crazy Horse.