Speedometer

GoldenMotor.com

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
All I want is a nice looking, quality speedometer that doesn't look like a diabetes test device.

I bought one of those analog speedos from Amazon, and they suck. I pegged it out on my 48cc (so not accurate) and the needle got stuck at 35 mph (dead stopped).

I just want it to fit the theme:

Remember: no "diabetes monitor" style speedometer.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
See, here's the thing about using "antiques"...

I trust that they were solid, and worked well in their day. American made, probably with leaded gas and advertised on the back side of a Marlboro Man billboard.

It's just that I work on equipment made in that era. Designed in the 40's and 50's, built in the early 60's. They break. A lot. And the repair parts are " new old stock", which means they made a lot of parts back then, and we're still using them today.

I know that when something has had a lot of use, it gets prone to breaking (even if it has been "properly rebuilt") And I'm not sure that if I'd want to put that on a motorized bike anyway. Maybe on a nice vintage cruiser, but not a motorbike.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I have been messing around with analog speedos for a few years now and I have not had a lot of luck. In my opinion, any speedo made for a bicycle can not stand up to prolonged speeds between 30 and 40 mph, which is my usual cruising speed. The bicycle speedos just fail under these conditions.

I have heard that the whizzer speedos are more reliable.

I am currently using a motorcycle front drum hub off of a cb100, with an integral speedo drive inside it. I then pair that up with a used Honda s90 speedo pulled from its cluster and custom mounted on my gas tank. I have gone through two of these in the last two years, so they are not bullet proof, but much more stout.

Good luck in your search,

Gilbert