Going to buy a motorized bike

GoldenMotor.com

michaelagonza87

Jul 7, 2015
Boston
Hey all

I'm new to the forum and have been dying to buy a MB! I can spend $450 and need advise as to what would the best option for that number?

I would like to be able to travel at 25mph easily and weigh 220 pounds.

Any help would be great. Oh yeah one that looks cool would be nice as well.

Thanks for any info
MG
rmfla

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
first see if there is someone working on these in your area - it is always best to at least try building it yourself, but have help available if you get stuck

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Help is always a good thing when starting out... we can help a lot from in here but there's just no substitute for good ol' 1 on 1 hands on help...
With a $450 budget you can build a pretty nice one tho... especially if you already got a donor bike, but if not, the beach cruisers are probably by far the easiest to add an engine to... a lot of people in here cut their teeth on huffy cranbrooks, they're cheap, strong, and easy to build on.

MtDave

Jun 22, 2013
Missoula, Montana
I second building one yourself. It's not to difficult and you will know every nut and bolt. Keep an eye on craigs list for a suitable(comfortable) used bike. $450.00 should be plenty if you start with a used bike from your area and go with a basic 2-stroke kit. Be aware cost can go up quick for more quality components i.e; balanced motor, cnc rear hub/sprocket, performance carb and exhaust, heavy duty wheels...etc...etc..etc.

To start though read through this forum. There is a ton of info and if you can think of it, it probably has been discussed here. .bld.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I like this one but I have not researched the seller or the motor.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/271920837603?nav=SEARCH
would consider it but if it were me I would still pull at least the top end off the motor and upgrade most of the hardware. We can help if you want to dive in that deep. I know it seems strange but if you go the Chinese 2 stroke route it's a really good idea to learn the motor well.
Probably the most reliable set up without spending money on a Honda motor is this http://www.gasbike.net/ghost-racer-4-stroke-kit.html. kit mounted on the Huffy Cranbrook that Dave recommend. That's by far your best bet, the weak point being the coaster brake on the Cranbrook. With some ingenuity you can add disc brakes but it involves some pretty technical drilling the front hub or changing wheels, a BMX type caliper will also work well enough and is inexpensive.
And do yourself a big favor and spend the money on one of these http://www.gasbike.net/44-tooth-cnc-sprocket-adapter-4104-prd1.html. the thing called a rag joint that comes with the kits to mount the rear sprocket is a stunningly horrible idea.
And lastly I try to support the vendors that support this site, this is a great place. That said customer service from gasbike where I buy a lot is less than great. The vendor thatsdax has a great reputation on here and will much more likely help you after the sale than a lot of others.
Oh and welcome!

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Before buying any kit look up your local laws first for motorized bicycles/mopeds. Many places consider them to be the same thing. If there are legal issues ask around if the cops are going to harass you. Many places if you fully obey all traffic laws they don't bother you. Here is a good kit to consider and often falls within legal guidelines.

http://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-4G-T-Belt-Drive-Complete-Gas-Powered-Engine-Kit.html

Last edited:

michaelagonza87

Jul 7, 2015
Boston
Thanks man!

I would like to buy a frame with a built in gas tank. I am moving to ABQ NM and I checked with the DMV website and it's all good! I will be asking more questions soon. I will go with better brakes if I'm going 30 mph I want to be able to stop.

Do they sell shocks for these bikes and good mufflers? I don't want to be a noise menace.

Peace
MG

michaelagonza87

Jul 7, 2015
Boston
Thanks but I am going with the Micargi Puma Stretch bike, matt black with neon orange rims! I will paint the gas cap neon orange and add some chrome.

I guess the whole shebang will run about $900

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
$450.......$900........ Typical Townie budgeting. LOL
Welcome to the forum from a Brockton native who made the escape young.

Moving to the desert will be great. You may do better building this thing once you get down there, to avoid shipping as well as availability of parts/ help. Just a thought.

Whatever you do, let us know, and post lot's of pics.

Good luck!

Trey

EDIT: Just read your other post about having help with your build. Right on!

Last edited: