Slow project, so in the mean time...

GoldenMotor.com

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
My 70cc cruiser is going to be slow going, so in the mean time my wife scored me a killer deal on a mountain bike to give me something to ride when spring finally hits! Seems like quite the bike, and I can't wait to get on it!

This is my first bike to ever have quick release axles and disk brakes, but instead of just front, I have dual disks! Love the first time!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That is a really nice bike there but you'll have your work cut out for you if you decide to motorize it with that frame... I had a mongoose Y frame with dual suspension and it was an excellent bike until someone stole it from me at work... they ripped off the lock cable when I was at lunch and I thought I must have left it on my toolbox, then when I got back to my toolbox I noticed it wasn't there. Then instead of taking the bike home with me, I had a friend on second shift that would use it and keep an eye on it so I told him to keep it parked where he could see it but he called in sick the next night and I didn't know he wasn't coming in so instead of him getting it and using it it got ripped off. I thought he was pulling a prank and hiding it from me but next time I saw him he was asking me if I took the bike home or was hiding it, we compared notes and that's when I knew someone else got it and ripped it off.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Nice bike Motojoe2492, hope you're able to make you a good rig out of it, frame area where engine will go sure looks small in the pic, but you'll know for sure when you get an engine and go to get it mounted in there.

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Believe it or not, this little fella is going to be my form of exercise :p Until maybe much after my cruiser is done, but even then it would be an electric rear hub ;)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Believe it or not, this little fella is going to be my form of exercise :p Until maybe much after my cruiser is done, but even then it would be an electric rear hub ;)
Nice, I have a exercise only bike myself, haven't had it long and only road it twice so far since my time is so limited, but that bike you have there will be a great peddler for sure.

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I just took the maiden voyage down the street! It was weird, I have only ridden my cruiser for so long it took getting used to being in that position. It is a smooth ride, and I put the gears through the paces, and she handled BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait for summer (after the soon to come mud season) to ride on the trails through the woods!

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I have been riding this baby a few times lately and am happy with it's performance.
A few more adjustments and I'll be golden!

I do however remember how ****ty the mud-slinging is in the face and back....
I have found a fender set to add, but I also wanted a rack.

Being the cheap guy I am, I decided to buy fenders and build a rack... Had some random crap around the "workshop" (kitchen) and had at it.

I'm sure you can see that the rear struts are not lined up. This is for the fact that I forgot the new obstacle of the brake caliper... No biggie!

I am going to paint the framing either black or gray metallic and stain the board a dark mahogany :D

I will cut it shorter, too. Don't worry ;)

bri36

Mar 27, 2015
phoenix,AZ
really cool bikes here I really like the 70cc version and hope you have success with all the issues that might be involved. Otherwise cool stuff

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I like the rack Motojoe2492, once you get the paint and stain done it will really look nice I'm sure.

One quick suggestion though, as good as that rack is, I'd still only give the really skinny girls a ride on it....LOL!

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Thanks, Bri36! I'm hoping it all comes out to be a sturdy ride.

Don't worry Map, I don't plan on giving rides! It is much better now that it's done.

Soon to be painted and stained :D

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks, Bri36! I'm hoping it all comes out to be a sturdy ride.

Don't worry Map, I don't plan on giving rides! It is much better now that it's done.

Soon to be painted and stained :D
LOL.... Be sure and post a pic or two when its done.

Hope you know I was just joking around about giving rides.....

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
For a while now I have been rolling an idea for some saddlebags made of wood that will attach to one of the rear racks I have.

Seeing you make the rear rack from wood has got me wanting to build the saddlebags now.

will have to get some other projects out of the way first, but a plan is coming together in my head now for something that has some style to it and is fairly light weight also.

Looking forward to seeing the pix when you have the time.

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Thanks Map. I have considered wooden saddle bags as well. My dad was a cabinet builder and made awesome stuff while I was growing up. I have the ingenuity from him to find efficient ways and build simple objects.

With a few measurements and a hacksaw, I came up with a symmetrical shape and a refined bracket to account for the brake caliper (resulting in asymmetrical hardware) really brings out the simplicity of the materials and functionality in an artful way. I will finish with gloss black struts and dark mahogany stain for a subtle addition of nature to my bike. Now in the woods I will fit in better with the trees.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
i like it motojoe, Ive done woodworking and building things all my life also, my dad owned a small local construction business, build log homes and anything else you can imagine, custom cabinets, wood stoves, rock fireplaces, and the list goes on...

I haven't done as many of these projects on my own, but have been involved and done my part in a lot of it, I learned welding from him since he also had a welding truck and worked for the railroad for a while and did oil patch welding also, I have learned a lot of things from him including my limited knowledge of running a lathe and mill... the crafty and inventive gene runs strong on both sides of my family so it no wonder many of us are creative and prone to be tinkerers like myself, very enjoyable way to live life in my opinion, very happy to have had so many good things handed down to me, just wish I could soak it all in better sometimes...lol

I have some crazy ideas that I just never have time to deal with so I just keep most of my bike stuff simple so I can get a few things done quickly, full time work to earn a living really limits hobby time for me.

Im gonna build those saddle bags though, it may be a while but Im gonna try to squeeze it into the mix asap.

Last edited: