First Build GT2-A frame [PICS INSIDE]

GoldenMotor.com

migueralliart

Oct 16, 2013
west palm beach
Well I decided to get started on my very first build. My intent is to get this bike registered in FL and learn about it in the process too.

My wheels are being built as of right now.

Rear;
Alex dx32 rims 26" 36h
Rear SRAM i-3 3 speed with disc brake
Butted 13g/14g spokes
Maxxis hookworms

Front;
Alex dx32 rims 26" 36h
Surly ultra new disc hub
Butted 13g/14g spokes
Maxxis hookworms

Brakes;
All bb7 203mm (not sure if it fits in the rear).
My frame came with 2 rear disc brake adapters similar to the ones on gasbikes.net

Frame gt2-a;
Still trying to figure out the headset type and bottom bracket adapters. I'll end up with a shift kit after all.

Your feedback is appreciated! I'll keep updating this thread with pics as I go.

Frame was powder coated in charcoal gray

This is not the rear wheel but kinda shows what I'm going for.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
The hookworms will be tight on the rear from what I've heard. The 203 rotor will never fit the rear, if you use an offset sprocket, tophat mod, spacers, a thin caliper like the bb7,you at least have a chance with a 160 mm rotor. Check Jakes for the sprocket and "disc biscuit" he also has chain ring bolts today mount the sprocket to the adapter and chain ring spacers to adjust clearance. A 410 chain also gives you more room for the tires and caliper clearance.

migueralliart

Oct 16, 2013
west palm beach
Thanks for all the responses guys. I had some time this weekend to measure brake rotor clearance in the rear. I think there's PLENTY of room for a 203mm rotor and caliper if you use a shift kit. My only concern right now is how to install the SRAM i-3. The specs call for a 10x1 axle but the flats are about 8mm. The thread OD is about right. How do people usually install these?

LOTS of work to do but at least I'm keeping busy with this :D

Anyway here are the pictures.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
The headset is 1 1/8" and depending on where you got your frame it should of come with a headset. Mine did. And, please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe if you are going to use a shift kit, especially the one from SBP, their bottom bracket will fit that frame.

migueralliart

Oct 16, 2013
west palm beach
The headset is indeed 1 1/8". I would not use the one that came with the frame as the bearings don't seem to be good quality. I'm going with a CANE CREEK 40 Headset. I ordered some more parts this week and will be posting part numbers and pictures.

The bottom bracket is the traditional american one piece. If you buy the SBP kit there is an option to add the adapter. I just bought it separately since I don't know the quality of the one they sell. The one I bought is a truvativ adapter and it was on sale so I grabbed it anyway.

migueralliart

Oct 16, 2013
west palm beach
Got tired of waiting for my LBS to lace up my wheels so I ordered the spokes and got to it.
Red alloy nipples with butted 13/14g spokes.

Spokes are not tensioned just laced. Tomorrow I'll tension them and true the wheel.

Last edited:

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I used dt Swiss alpine III spokes on my rear wheel build, they're bigger at the hub end then taper to 14 at the rim

migueralliart

Oct 16, 2013
west palm beach
Had some time this week and finished the rear wheel with tire liners maxxis hookworms and free ride tubes rim inner liner etc. Also received my used rst dual crown fork.

Learning a lot in the process. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I agree... it'll be finished when it's finished and you'll like it a LOT better when it's done... just take your time with each step of the build and get everything right like you want it the first time around.... Way too easy to screw things up when ya get in a hurry to finish or cuz ya wanna ride it by the weekend etc...

Your build is looking great so far and it looks like you're doing everything the right way and being patient with it.