Advise on dead bike!

GoldenMotor.com

Matty Skacore

May 1, 2014
Bakersfield, Ca
My bike is not getting any spark and I changed the plugs. This was not a sudden thing it started happening slowly, like it took my bike longer to start up slowly and than one day while riding she just stopped. I peddaled home and changed the plug thinking that was the problem but nope. I pedaled and nothing, not even a single spark. I took of the spark plug and kept it on the CDI to test for spark and not a single thing. Additionally I checked all wiring and the magneto and everything looks okay.
So I was wondering if the CDI or magneto just up and die randomly (they are both stock) and just needed other opinions before I bought new parts. Thanks ahead. :-||

Attachments

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Check your magneto with an ohm meter and see if it reads between about 350 to 550 ohms... if it does, it's good, but if it reads as a dead short (0) ohms or if it don't give a reading at all it's bad and needs to be swapped out... this is very common.

Check your spark plug boot also since these are made cheaply, an automotive wire and boot fix that problem

The cdi can be checked with a meter and there is a post about it somewhere in here so try searching cdi test or ignition test and see if it pops up.

My guess is that the mag coil is what went bad

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
You have to ground the plug against the head to test for spark. As a reminder, an engine needs 4 things in order to run. Compression, air, fuel, and spark. Any non-starting issue can be traced to too much or not enough of one of those 4 things.