Alternate 4 cycle 49cc starter options

GoldenMotor.com

billragland

Aug 14, 2010
Springvale, ME
I have been through my 5th rope starter so far on the same awesome 49cc chinese engine. The engine always works awesomely, but after a while all of the starters all get stuck with the rope out and the mechanism sticky and ineffective. I have tried all types of lubricants on the 5 but nothing has loosened them up. The last one, which I only had a couple of weeks, actually cracked the center of the outer plastic housing when it stopped recoiling, when I was in a hurry to get to work. I had to actually go back to using my car again - humiliated!! I am open to any successful alternatives that folks have come up with to the recoil rope starters. I would appreciate any part numbers and sources for even a bolt on open starter bell I could wrap a rope around without even a slot by wrapping the rope around itself. I fear the problem of that high speed bell grabbing my clothes, but I will try anything. Thanks for whatever. Mainiac Motors, EZMotorbike kit on a Schwinn coaster.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
can your bike be pop started like the 2 stroke motors can or does it have the centrifugal clutch?

what about a kick starter ?

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
They're centrifugal clutch so no bump starting. There's an electric starter for pocket bikes that might work and if wired cleverly could be used as a generator to recharge the starter battery and run a headlight.

billragland

Aug 14, 2010
Springvale, ME
I used a pulley screwed down on the shaft. I simply ground a small rope notch in the outer part of the ring.
The pulley is the best idea I have received. I think I will try skipping the notch and just try to wrap it on itself first. I am really afraid of a notch spinning so close to my right leg with any kind of a notch in it. Did you have any problems with it tearing at your pants when you were riding? Thanks for a great idea.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The notches face back into rotation so they are not aggressive. You can also cut a keyhole slot in the inner diameter for no notches, but the notches work better.
Whatever you do, test it first to be sure it releases EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Having the handle ripped from your hand hurts like hello!

billragland

Aug 14, 2010
Springvale, ME
Thanks for the great advice. I have a Honda brand version that seems to be holding up better. I have to make sure I make short strokes when I am trying to start it in the cold do I don't get too close to the end. If this one dies, I will try the pulley and I think I will just wrap it around itself without any slot with mountain climbing cord and make sure I pull it completely out each time I pull so the engine doesn't catch up with me and give me a quick hug..duh.