What are the best 66cc 2-stroke motor kits?

GoldenMotor.com

Quanah

Dec 13, 2008
Central, Illinois
I've been away from the motorized bicycle scene for a while and was wondering who makes what's considered by most of you to be the best 66cc 2 stroke motor kits out there? Is the flying horse angle fire motor respectable? I know they all come from China, and that some are better quality than others. I would like to order a kit from a company who will also give me some product support if need be. I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Anything with an angle fire head is not your best bet.
I'm in Oz so shouldn't comment on what's available over there,
But from what I've gathered, It's not a Grubby.
The name say's it all.
Personally I like something with a 40mm stroke.
I guess it all depends on your budget.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This question has been asked hundreds of times. There is no true answer.

All you're going to get is opinions. Those who were happy with their purchase will say their vendor is the best. Those who had a bad experience will tell you not to buy from whoever they did. The engine kits from China are all about the same. What you should be concerned with is after sale/ customer support. Price and shipping fees also come into play. Do some reading and research. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...15#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=best engine kit&gsc.page=1

Tom

Quanah

Dec 13, 2008
Central, Illinois
BikeBerry advertises they only buy from manufacturers who use the highest quality standards and materials...sounds good, but you're right all those kits pretty much look the same.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I don't believe they are.
I have 4 different Ebay Kits from 4 different suppliers ( in OZ).
One was total CRAP!
If your in OZ do Not buy anything from OZ Bicycle En****s,
No concern for the fact that the courier took a month to get it to me,
Dents in fuel tank,
Crap unbalancd GT5 crank,
a teaspoon of metal filings in the motor,
Crappy exhaust also with a dent,
Mag lasted about an hour,
ect,...

Another Kit From Motow***s was alright except a weird barrel? and bearings missing out of clutch basket.

The last two kits also had faults. (one had no chance of the head gasket sealing with out lapping both barrel and head. the other had a flat spot on the clutch fly wheel teeth.)

Make sure you get one from someone who will honor warranty!
And check it properly before running it.

Everyone of my Ebay Kits had at least one issue!
Maybe I'm just unlucky?
Fussy?
There not all the same!
Try and find one with the straight fire head and the 40mm crank.

Last edited:

Quanah

Dec 13, 2008
Central, Illinois
I am planning on tearing the motor completely down before ever running it. Checking the crank for trueness, buying some quality crank bearings, replacing the hardware with decent nuts and bolts, making sure the transfer ports line up, a good cleaning and inspection of all components. Hopefully I will be able to lengthen the life of the motor some, and just hope I didn't get a lemon.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You should know that most, if not all sellers will not warranty and engine that has been disassembled. Just a word of caution before you begin.

Tom

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
It's catch 22 then isn't it.
There should be a ****y Vendor thread here then,
And everyone that finds crap parts on there disassembled motors and don't get warranty,
Should list it here.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The best HT "stock"engines currently available come from MotorBicycleRacing (GenV)and That's Dax.
The GenV from MotorBicycleRacing comes with the better 40mm stroke balanced crank and is slightly cheaper than the Dax. Mine is clearly better quality than the average ebay kit engine.
Not sure about the Dax, but I hear good reviews on it as well.

Both are engines only, no kit parts included although I hear MotorBicycleRacing is now selling full kits with this engine. PM him for details.
On the higher end, Arrow makes several "race" ht packages but they are NOT cheap.

Simple fact. No ebay vendor I know of will warranty an engine YOU take apart. No vendor can reasonably warranty engines messed with by some unknown mechanic with unknown skills.
Buying one of the engines from Neil or Dax gets you a product actually inspected by someone besides the chinese factory worker who assembled it originally, and they may be more lenient on warranty. ASK BEFORE ORDERING!