whats the largest 2 and 4 stroke motor your willing to intstall in a bicycle ?

GoldenMotor.com

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
I'm thinking about putting a crf150r engine (with 22hp) on a Schwinn stingray spoiler. Scotto I may be mistaken but I thought a 212 pred only had 6.5hp, not over 20?
if you dump hundreds of dollars and tens of hours of work into it yeh you can get 18 - 20 hp but at what cost ??? with the money you spent i could have bought a 125cc kart motor and had more power LOL

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Is a 212cc Predator that's over 20hp big and fast enough for a beach cruiser bicycle? Besides a perfectly tight fit, why would you want anything bigger or more powerful? This bike will go as fast as you want to gear it to go......seriously.

On a two-wheeled single seat bicycle I would not put anything bigger than what I have here on my 212cc race bike. And on a tandem I wouldn't go to much bigger as well......maybe HF 346cc with some performance mods.

And as for a 2-stroke, I think the Yamaha KT-100 is plenty of engine to make any bicycle go ballistic!

.wee.
the preddy 212 is a great motor but there are pleanty of other 4 stroke atv motors around the 200cc range that will fit in a bike frame and are far more powerfull with NO MODS !!! and with mods even more so !!!

HOW ABOUT AN OLD 80'S XR 200 !!!!! THAT WOULD SEND A BIKE RIPPING DOWN THE ROAD !!!!

AND YEH I WOULD PUT A BIG BORE 200CC 2 STROKE KART MOTOR IN A BICYCLE !! I AM INSANE REMEMBER !!!

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
i have been looking for a good 2 stroke dirt bike or atv motor to do my next build with around the 150 to 200cc range ether full auto like a kart motor or 4-5 speed from a dirt bike/atv/atc....

i am going to give my 40mph beach cruiser to my fiance ..... lol its about a 5 hp china girl regularly turns a 26 in wheel 35mph with a 44t rear ! thats 8500rpms !!!! and it does that with increadable power for what it is ! i do wheelies and jumps on the regular !!!

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
here is my top choise so far...

its a yamaha blaster 196 cc 5 speed motor

of course i would have a fully ported and polished 250cc big bore kit lol and a custom high comp head with a modded pison and a reed conversion.

this motor even with a big bore kit is small enough to fit in a standard beach cruiser !!!!

and it has enough power to send a atv blazing down a trail ..... so imagine it on a bike frame !!!!!

i was thinking something heavy duty with pedals like this conversion pictured here below.....

no officer its a 50cc i am shure of it.......ROFLA !!!

Attachments

Hashbrown

Jan 15, 2018
I've honestly no idea why so many reference, even buy these engines based on CCs - if ever "there's no replacement for displacement" was a misnomer, it would be in reference to motorizing a bicycle lol

There's 50s pushing 12hp, there's 200s with a mere 5hp - there' no correlation between displacement and HP in our world, particularly as both are so oft suspect in any case...

...regardless, to answer what I think was the OP's intent - think me an ol' fuddy duddy if you must but for a street bike & even legality aside, I really can't fathom needing much more than an actual 5hp (I run about 1/2 that w/my most powerful build & a mere 1.3hp w/my daily driver) as there's an additional, even critical aspects so often ignored - which would be the machine's overall power to weight ratio & the engines preformance envelope, ie it's usable RPM range & torque as well.

These are the snarky lil details that'll getcha lol, dunno how many times I whipped a "manly" CR500 w/my lil "wuss bike" XR250, to be whipped in turn by some sassy 80 despite the massive power difference - just & only because the weight differences.

Yet, I do understand there will always be someone that says, "Ya outa stuff a 350 V8 up in it man" no matter what "it" may be ;)
Youre a funny guy.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
If your going to put MOTORCYCLE engine in a bicycle, get a bicycle made for it, a MotoPed!

That was an 88cc kick start 4-stroke with a 4-speed semi-auto.
It was too fast for me and my then 25 year old son, he wrecked it, a lady pulled out it front of him.
She stayed and gave him a ride home (it was just down the street) and nothing serious happened to him as he was riding geared up, the forks on the bike were tweeked and some cosmetic damage but really not bad.

No cops involved, and the insurance company was too funny.
The adjuster for her insurance came out and was befuddled, the only reference he could find what the bike was worth kept coming up to my KC's Kruisers web site.
Finally he said "it looks like you are authority to what this bike was worth" hehehe ;-}

I got my $3K in settlement (keeping the bike), straightened the forks, and re-sold it as damaged used for like $2500 with full disclosure again.

I am just glad it's gone as there is a point of 'stupid power' on a bicycle especially a Huffy!