NGK BP6HS-10 Spark Plug

GoldenMotor.com

brightondale

Jun 3, 2013
Brighton, MI
My GT5 engine came with a triple prong (autolite I thnk) plug and I've had terrible 4 stroking with it. My attempts to remedy this include, first going to a smaller carb jet. I went from the stock 70 jet on my RT carb to a 60 and it helped a bit but not anywhere near eliminating the 4 stroking. Next I tried an old NGK B6L plug I had laying around and that helped a bit more. I did some research on here to find out what plug folks think works the best and found many saying the NGK B6HS was the way to go so I ordered one of those. That plug didn't seem to perform any different than the B6L. Then I read someone saying the BP version will get the tip down lower to be in a better position to ignite. I could only find the BP6HS-10 and I'm not sure what the -10 means, but in any case I have almost completely eliminated the 4 stroking. I should add, my engine is still in break in so I'm running a 16:1 mix for now. Even at 16:1 it is amazing the change I've experienced.

Change your plug; change your life.

drn2

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your oil ratio is what is causing your problems. Do some reading here and you'll see that the 16:1 ratio is too much oil. You'll have spark plug fouling problems as well as muffler/exhaust clogging issues not to mention overall poor performance.

Reduce your oil to fuel ratio to at least 24:1 or better yet, 32:1. I think you'll see better performance from your engine. Also you need to put some miles on it. 200 to 300 is what has been found to be the point where an engine is considered fully broken in. Don't worry too much about how it runs until it gets some miles under its belt.

Tom

brightondale

Jun 3, 2013
Brighton, MI
Actually, I'm sure -10 is definitely NOT a marine designation as the plug came in a NOS Honda Motorsports box.

As for my 16:1 mixture, this isn't my first rodeo as I know what the break in period is and this is my third HT. The installation instructions that came with the motor and most I've talked to suggest a 16:1 break in mix. 32:1 mix is insane for break in. Fine afterwards, but you were aware the engine is new. You know, I missed the part where I said there was a problem. The plug fixed the problem caused by the temporary heavy mixture, which is what I was trying to convey in this thread.

"Don't worry too much about how it runs until it gets some miles under its belt."

If you suggest that being ok with a 90% 4 stroking rate for the entire break in, I'd love to see the inside of your engine after 200 miles. The fact that I am now able to run the suggested 16:1 mix and reduce the 4 stroking rate to a 1% or almost non existent is something worth sharing and hopefully someone will simply appreciate the tip on the plug. You should really just try it.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the "recommended" 16:1 ratio is an outdated reference left over from the original instructions based on 30weight oil the germans used when they built these motors in the 50's. the chinese not only copied the engines, but the instruction manual, too, without taking into account the advances in oil after 60+ years.

many of us have run 24:1, 32:1, and even opti2 at 100:1 during break in with great results.

but if it works for you, go for it...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Actually, I'm sure -10 is definitely NOT a marine designation as the plug came in a NOS Honda Motorsports box.

As for my 16:1 mixture, this isn't my first rodeo as I know what the break in period is and this is my third HT. The installation instructions that came with the motor and most I've talked to suggest a 16:1 break in mix. 32:1 mix is insane for break in. Fine afterwards, but you were aware the engine is new. You know, I missed the part where I said there was a problem. The plug fixed the problem caused by the temporary heavy mixture, which is what I was trying to convey in this thread.

"Don't worry too much about how it runs until it gets some miles under its belt."

If you suggest that being ok with a 90% 4 stroking rate for the entire break in, I'd love to see the inside of your engine after 200 miles. The fact that I am now able to run the suggested 16:1 mix and reduce the 4 stroking rate to a 1% or almost non existent is something worth sharing and hopefully someone will simply appreciate the tip on the plug. You should really just try it.
Whatever.
As far as the insides of my engines; I run my engines, even break them in on a 100:1 mix. My innards look like new and my engines run great. As for milage, I've been building a riding these things for a while, my friend, this certainly isn't "my first rodeo" and I can assure you that I've accurued several thousand miles on my bikes. I've yet to have an engine failure and I won't tell you how many I've built.

You might want to reconsider how you respond to people that reply to your questions and inquiries here. Being abrasive to those trying to help you won't win you many friends.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Well, as Tom has mentioned you wont make many friends here being so abrasive with the " ain't my first Rodeo" comments, when you are speaking with people here that likely have 99%+ more experience with the HT china girl engines than you do, it has been a known fact for a long time just as baird has said that 16:1 is way to much oil for these engines to perform right, I'm glad that you have been able to make it run better on the 16:1 mix by changing the spark plug if that is the case, but I to can assure you that using that much oil is big time overkill and all you are doing is laying a massive layer of carbon on the piston, combustion chamber in the head and in your exhaust with that much oil in the mix.
I break my engines in with what I'm gonna run till the day the engine dies now, I tried the heavy oil fro break in and had my first major bearing failure in less than 100 miles.... since I run Opti2 at the mix recommendation and have not had another failure that was oil related in three years.

Just some food for thought here..... Go to Home depot and buy a new Echo weed wacker and use the reommended oil mix for break in and you'll never have a bit of trouble... oh by the way that mix will be 50:1..!

Go by a new Stihl chainsaw or other power equipment and break it in as recommended and you will have zero issues.... Oh and yep again, 50:1 is what you will start it on and run it there for it's life unless you do like me and switch all 2 smoker over to Opti2 and then you can use half that much oil.

Now.... Glad to hear your having good luck with what you are doing and hope that engine will last for thousands of miles for ya, but if you want to get people sour to you in a heart beat here all you have to do is keep throwing the abrasive comments and no one will be willing to help or discus issue with you and sooner or later you will have them like the rest of us have, most of us always try to be friendly here but when someone is straight up disrespectful to the ones who are just trying to help you some will buck up and put a black mark by your avatar.

One last comment that may be out of line a bit but I just gotta say it here, as to the first Rodeo statement, I see you are in Michigan and I dont know how many actual Rodeos ya'll have there but being a born and bread Texas country fella my entire life I'm gonna say I probably know way more about Rodeos than you my friend....LOL!

Cheery O........ Peace and happy safe riding.

I dont always ride WOT throttle, but when I do....
I do my best to keep the rubber side down...
Ride safely my friends!

Map
reddd

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I actually run the Echo 50:1 mix ---- mainly because that's what I've used in the same weed whacker for 8 years with absolutely zero issues.

I use the NGK Iridium BPR7HIX spark plug in my bike. Even though it's a Huffy, I like to treat it right!

Good luck in your adventures.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
weird that something as simple as fuel mixture ratios can get people so worked up. not just this thread, but plenty of others as well.

i'd hate to ask what tire pressure people run...
I pump 'em up till the side walls bulge out. That way I don't have to put air in so often.

Tom

Ouch that Hurt

Jul 27, 2013
Port Alberni, BC, Canada
I run the NGK B7HS. Its a lil hotter plug and I have found that the 4 stroking has been reduced immensely. Also run a 50:1 fuel mix with Castrol 2 stroke engine oil.

Been running great for at least 500 miles so far.

caduceus

Feb 4, 2009
Frostbite Falls, MN
I'm a true-believer in 4-stroke engines so this two-stroke stuff goes way over my head. However, I've been to a few rodeos and I'm convinced that there's something fundamentally wrong with anyone who voluntarily sits upon a ton of angry Bull.

Whilst once bicycling along a gravel ranch road out on the West Coast I crossed a cattle guard and coming around the base of a large hill I encountered a herd of cows. I pulled up short about a hundred feet away and the cows took off up the hill. However, in the center of the road standing fast was one very large, and very obvious bull. This bull and I eyed each other for perhaps three or four minutes while I mentally computed the absolute quickest way to turn that bicycle around on that gravel road and pedal as hard as I could back across the cattle guard which was about half a mile back.

Finally, never taking his eyes off of me, the bull raised his tail and deposited a very large pile of BS smack in the middle of the road. Having marked his territory he slowly, and with great dignity, walked up the hill to join his cows. After he'd gone a hundred yards or so I slowly pedaled past this pile of fresh BS and made my way across the next cattle guard and on towards civilization.