oil mixture on new motor break in? 80cc Chinese motor.

GoldenMotor.com

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
the book on my 80cc says 16 parts petrol to 1 part high-grade 2 stroke motorcycle oil (65ml Penrite 2 stroke motor oil to 1 litre of 91 octane unleaded petrol) for first 500km break-in then it changes to 20 to 1 after that . I also found that checking all nuts bolts and screws after each ride was also needed . I"m still in my break-in period so thats as much as I can say right now hope that helps , Good luck

Reactions: lobsterman61

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
16:1 is too much oil. 24:1, even 32:1 will get you through break-in with no problems.

Use the search feature at the top of this page and you'll have plenty to read and consider when it comes to fuel/oil mix ratios and break-in procedures. Key words, 'oil mix' and 'break in'

Tom

Reactions: lobsterman61

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey 2door, Just my opinion, But theres no such thing as too much oil, That is untill you start fouling plugs or smoking too much. I've gone 16:1 or better on a BGF engine that I didn't really trust. Those cheap chinese bearings need all the lube they can get, especially for break in. And the mix is the ONLY lube they get. So, How much oil do you want on YOUR bearings?
Even now I'll run a little heavy on the mix in my personal build. My last BGF engine lasted through 3 bikes and over 4 years. But I also think the quality, even for BGF, has gone downhill since then.
Unless you're racing it and have to be very precise for for optimum power, A little extra oil in yer gas ain't gonna hurt nothin. BUT, like I said, Just my opinion.
fatdaddy.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
FD,
24 or even 32:1 will provide you with sufficient lubrication as long as the oil is a quality product formulated for use in a air cooled 2 stroke. I assure you. As for bearings; they don't really require a "break-in" period. Break in is primarily to allow the piston rings to seat to the cylinder walls properly. Even at 32:1 that will happen and maybe a little sooner with the reduced oil ratio.

I'm not out for top/peak performance and speed either. I like to know that the bike will perform if I ask it but the 20 to 25mph range is where I get the most enjoyment. I'm also one of the weirdos who use a 100:1 ratio and I'm never bothered by oily residue from the exhaust or foulded spark plugs, both of which you can expect running an oil rich mix.

My point being that I don't see the advantage of using excess oil and putting up with the drawbacks when it isn't necessary. Plus dealing with the reduced performance potential, even if you don't need it.

As for "no such thing as too much oil" lol, try a 50/50 mix and see how your engine runs. :) One advantage is that it will never wear out or break down.

Tom

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2013
RI
I'm not out for top/peak performance and speed either. I like to know that the bike will perform if I ask it but the 20 to 25mph range is where I get the most enjoyment. I'm also one of the weirdos who use a 100:1 ratio and I'm never bothered by oily residue from the exhaust or foulded spark plugs, both of which you can expect running an oil rich mix.

Tom
...i want to thank you personally for your posts in the '100:1' thread because your posts and some by a few others convinced me to go the Opti 2 route.

i've only put 73 miles on my new bike, a single speed Micargi Cheetah cruiser, AND i have no experience with other mix ratios so i can't speak to how much better it is over the more traditional mix's but i CAN say how much i love it.

like i said, i'm no where near broke in yet so i've still not ridden WOT but i took her out yesterday on a flat stretch of road and got her up to 33.86MPH with some room still left under the throttle, ...if she moves like this with a completely stock china girl i can't imagine how hot she'll be after i get her broken in and i tweak just the intake and exhaust!

...frankly, 33.86 is way faster than i want to be traveling anyway, at 58 i don't bounce as well as i used to back in the day.

so thanks man, that Opti stuff is the real deal.

peace, bozo

btw, what i did was to measure 1.3 ounces of the Opti and pour it into an old amber pill bottle, then i just sharpied a line around the bottle so mixing now is easy peasy lemon squeazy, lol.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I run AMSOIL 100:1 @ 50:1 witch is 2.6 oz. and my measuring cup is , and you're going to like this it is that little measuring cup that comes on nightquil . stop laughing it was free and it's accurate it works !!!!