Dopor 196cc Engine?

GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The 196 cc motor is the same size as scotto's predator race bike motor or any of
the other 200 cc 4 stroke builds here.
You would also have to buy or build a jack shaft set up.

When you have a 200 cc motor you don't need to pedal. ;)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Looks like a Honda GX 160 clone. it's doable, but not recommended for a first build. Too many problems to solve for a new builder. Build yourself a bike with a legal kit motor first. You will be far better better prepared to build one with that hot Honda clone afterwards.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Looks like a Honda GX 160 clone. it's doable, but not recommended for a first build. Too many problems to solve for a new builder. Build yourself a bike with a legal kit motor first. You will be far better better prepared to build one with that hot Honda clone afterwards.
It's a Honda GX 200 clone.

Who said it was his first build?
OP has a couple of legal 50 cc 4 stroke Huasheng's on Felts.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have been looking at this engine for a new build and wondered if any of you have experience with it. It is reasonably priced, especially for the unprepared version. The only problem I can see is the spacing. It is hard to tell (for me at least) how big the engine really is.

https://www.affordablegokarts.com/m...Code=A&Product_Code=DJ-1016&Category_Code=ESB

Lemme know what you think!
-Chris
Chris...what’s the reason for such a large engine? I have built two bikes with them and never ride em. They are too big and heavy for everyday riding. The HF 99cc or 79cc is a fun engine on a bike...even the Honda 120cc is a good choice...whichever way you chose enjoy the build...CCC

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I just started a 212 build but my ambassador isnt meant to be pedaled anyway (theyre around 145lbs). Id have used the 99 if I coulda found a TAV driver for it or an adapter that wasnt impossible, so I got mad and ordered the 212.
that said, I agree these are kinda big(though I seen one on a back rack on youtube..go figure)......99's (now the 78) make more sense and they'll fit more bikes.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
When you have a 200 cc motor you don't need to pedal. ;)
That's the thing, these are motor-assisted bicycles. Throwing a 200cc engine on a bicycle makes it a flimsy motorcycle/scooter.

Not needing pedals on these pretty much kicks you out in a way, IMHO.

It's funny getting called a cheater by a pedal-only guy, but it's not so funny when you're actually a cheater.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Its all up to the builder to decide what they want out of their bike and how to build it. What gives us the right to define someone else's bike? You want 200cc, go for it.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
What's wrong with the HF 420cc electric start? I would seriously consider the 420cc for a tandem build, but for a single motored beach cruiser or such intended for street riding, a 79cc 4-stroke is MORE than ample. Take it from people who know what they're talking about and have built, ridin and raced them.......200cc's is way too much engine for practical bicycle usage. I'm very serious when I say this!

Please understand......

scotto-

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
Its all up to the builder to decide what they want out of their bike and how to build it. What gives us the right to define someone else's bike? You want 200cc, go for it.
The law defines what is and what isn't in this case. 150cc and up is a motorcycle in California.
Slapping a 200cc motor in a bicycle effectively makes it a motorcycle. And it might just be my opinion, but I don't think I'm far out of line to say anyone's bicycle with a 200cc motor in it is a flimsy motorcycle/scooter.

No one has a "right" to put whatever engine they want on a bicycle and go riding down the road. There's a clear line between what is and what isn't.
Freedom only goes so far, and those who willingly take unfair advantage of it end up making it worse for many others in the long run.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
In Pennsylvania, anything over 50cc is a motorcycle. Its not stopping me from putting a 98cc engine in my bike, which I've no intention of registering.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
That doesn't matter here in Cali, where the OP is. If you want to risk more future trouble on whatever you ride, that's on you wherever you are.

I'm not here to debate my opinion with you, 3B. OP asked us what we thought about his idea and it isn't necessary for you to comment on what you think about what I think here. It has nothing to do with you.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Lemme know what you think!
-Chris
I think you should listen to the advice of some the other experienced builders who have experienced the mechanical and operational challenges of a larger sized engine. I know you have a 49cc, but maybe start with a 79cc Predator or a Honda GX120 and ride with that for a while. Then decide later if you want to go to a bigger engine.

You asked for opinions, you've got mine.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I suppose you guys are right. After thinking about it, I realized that 200cc engines do put out quite a lot of power. It would be scary to have that much power in a panic situation, because the more power you have, the harder it is to control/stop in a panic. I read about Scotto's runaway bike fiasco around the holidays, and that cost him $400 if I recall correctly. Thankfully no one was hurt. I personally would not put a 200cc engine in a bike because they are so big it takes a big frame to fit them. My Schwinn frame is just right for my 98cc engine, anything bigger would never fit.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
The law defines what is and what isn't in this case. 150cc and up is a motorcycle in California.
Slapping a 200cc motor in a bicycle effectively makes it a motorcycle. And it might just be my opinion, but I don't think I'm far out of line to say anyone's bicycle with a 200cc motor in it is a flimsy motorcycle/scooter.

No one has a "right" to put whatever engine they want on a bicycle and go riding down the road. There's a clear line between what is and what isn't.
Freedom only goes so far, and those who willingly take unfair advantage of it end up making it worse for many others in the long run.
What he said^

Motorized bicycles are a gift of mutual benefaction if kept small, within the scope of legal regs and resistant to the mission creep of turning them into fake motorcycles. Human nature being what it is though, I don't hold much hope for that kind of commonsense to be all that prevailing.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
When you have as Rolls Royce puts it, "adequate power" pedals are more of a legal thing. For riding safety if you have a higher powered machine and intend to explore the speed I prefer to have some pegs too, because they are solid and predictable in their location. The strength of the frame of the bike vs a traditional moped or scooter is on a case by case basis really, some bikes are built strongly since they're simply not meant to be lightweight.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
I just want to add some of my own info to this, because it seems this thread is getting a bit off track. I have my 49cc HS for practical use around the neighborhood and for errands. I never said I wanted a 200cc engine for practical use. I want it for power, power, and more power. The reason I do not want to use the 79cc HF predator is because I have read that it only puts out 3hp... This can't be true though, because so many people use it for higher power builds. If the Predator 79cc can put out an amount of power substantially higher than a HS 49cc, I will consider it. But again, my main goal of this possible build is power :)

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
What he said^

Motorized bicycles are a gift of mutual benefaction if kept small, within the scope of legal regs and resistant to the mission creep of turning them into fake motorcycles. Human nature being what it is though, I don't hold much hope for that kind of commonsense to be all that prevailing.
seeings how theres a vast array of laws all over the board in most states, you can expect the bikes to be different.
Your legal may not be the next guys....doesnt make them fake anything....just not like everyones.
here in CT anything with a seat height of 26" and 5hp and under is legal...you wanna pedal up hills........feel free.shft.