newbie needs help

GoldenMotor.com

liz26914

Sep 6, 2012
state college, pa
I really don't know anything about bikes or motors so I'm pretty much a baby with this stuff.
1. are bike kits from ebay (china) crap? A couple of people on youtube said they were. If they are not all crap, how do I know which ones are good ones?
2. what does 2 stroke and 4 stroke mean?
3. Is there a thread on this forum that goes through the step by step process of installing the bike kit with a lot of pictures?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I really don't know anything about bikes or motors so I'm pretty much a baby with this stuff.
1. are bike kits from ebay (china) crap? A couple of people on youtube said they were. If they are not all crap, how do I know which ones are good ones?
3. Is there a thread on this forum that goes through the step by step process of installing the bike kit with a lot of pictures?

1. Sorta. They are made in china and the quality control is non existent. It doesn't matter where you get your kit, because you can get a good one or a bad one. Buy from a reputable seller for best results.

2. 2 stroke/4 stroke meanes the type of engine it is...think chainsaw or weed wacker "2 stroke" buzzy, ringy dingy sound, a lot of mopeds are 2 stroke. 4 strokes are more like the small atv's, cars, lawn mowers.

3. Been answered above.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
there are alot of good youtube videos for builds also most kits come with a instruction book if you have basic skills with tools you can normally use the vague instructions to put it together if you have problems youtube and this forum will help you get down the road.

the big difference between two stroke and four is that a two stroke has the oil mixed into the gas and you need to do that every time you fill it up and a four stroke you put oil in it like a car and chainge it every now and then and run strait gas

as far as crap kits go there are a few out there read around and ask questions on the different ones before you buy because i thought i read enough bought a Grubee 66cc GT-5 motor and had nothing but problems. another thing is the place you buy the kit from stay away from kings motor bikes and gasbike theirs another i cant remember but they are useless if you have a problem. if you need something also the 3 are all the same company.
i like bikeberry.com they have been good to me help me pick out my flying horse motor which i love.
spooky tooth is another great group of guys also they can send you a bike ready to go

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Liz.

Go into the "introduce yourself" area and introduce yourself, including location. You will find a lot of nice people there, who will be more then willing to help you out.

And every question you asked has been asked a million times here. Don't be afraid to look through this forum, and use the search bar. It's a very good tool.

To quickly explain the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. 2 stroke is like a weed-wacker, or a blower for your lawn. It's higher pitch, uses oil and gasoline mixture, and very powerful for the displacement (engine size). In contrast, 4 stroke is like your car (or a lawn mower). You'll have less problems to deal with, but less power then a 2 stroke. Also, you don't have to pre-mix your fuel with oil.

That all has to do with how the engine gets lubricated. I can go in a lot more detail, but all you need to know is a car vs a weedwacker. Or a dirtbike vs a motorcycle. More like Waaaaa Waaaaaaaa vs Vroom Vroom.