What scares me the most...

GoldenMotor.com

Bronze

Aug 12, 2012
New Brunswick
That I am cruising 50km/h and the engine quits on me and the back tire stops spinning.... somebody gimme some reassurance...lol.bf.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Several times. Trust me, pulling the clutch in is such a fast reflex that conscious thought doesn't come into it. If it's the transmission rather than the engine that's locked up, just keep the front wheel pointed dead ahead and ride out the slide until it stops. You can help with gentle front brake use as well.

Arnold Layne

Dec 3, 2010
Nebraska
The engine would have to partially destroy itself and lock up to cause you much danger, if the engine just "quits" you will coast to a stop with little drama. Just press the kill switch when you are riding, should be about the same.

Last edited:

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
my engine destroyed itself going 42mph, piston cracked piston rings blew up the cylinder/head. pull in the clutch and safe. too bad it was too late for the engine.

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
I hate wearing a helmet (you don't have to in South Carolina) but i can't NOT wear one with these little missiles. Braking is probably my biggest worry because the back brake sucks and the front disc brake is on the front and works well enough but isn't great.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I hate wearing a helmet (you don't have to in South Carolina) but i can't NOT wear one with these little missiles. Braking is probably my biggest worry because the back brake sucks and the front disc brake is on the front and works well enough but isn't great.
I used to not like helmets much, but I always wore one because I didn't trust some of the other drivers in my immediate vicinity.
One day, while on my bike, I was hit hard by a truck. While I was recuperating from surgery in the hospital, I asked the doctor if he thought the helmet might have saved my life. He said he didn't know, and to just look at my helmet. He said whatever happened to my helmet would have happened to my head if I was not wearing a helmet. He said if it looked like injuries I could live through, then all the helmet would do would be to maybe prevent a concussion or keep somebody from becoming a vegetable.
I looked at my helmet. I kinda think it's the reason I'm still here. I wear a real nice one now.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
One thing to remember is that a helmet only works once. It absorbs impact energy by suffering it's own structural degradation. When I race and have a crash hard enough to have needed a helmet to survive it, I cut the helmet up and bin it. People at work have not understood and called me mad for doing it to an apparently sound helmet, but I work on the principle that it's my head inside it and I'm not taking chances.