I have a heckler (or a fan)

GoldenMotor.com

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I live in Lebanon, PA. I have been getting out on the bike a little more lately, due to the weather getting much nicer. I never ride without a lid, and I assume thats why this guy is messing with me. I dont think he realizes that I have an engine on my bike, or just isnt paying attention. So twice now, he has seen me with my orange helmet on, not a bike helmet but a dirtbike lid, and has said "safety first" I havent seen his face, because I am too busy keeping my eyes on the road, but I can tell by the tone of his voice he is making fun of me. Its starting to irritate me. I am considering pulling over and revving my engine loudly the next time he opens his stupid mouth, just to show him that i am on a motorbike. any thoughts?

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Why escalate the situation, just ignore him and enjoy the ride and nice weather. Don't get all worked up that you can't enjoy what you like doing - MB'in.

Peace

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
why do you even care?
who did you build the bike for him or you?
For as much as it costs us to run these contraptions you should be laughing all the way to the bank

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
There's always gonna be a hater somewhere. Believe me, I've been ridiculed and laughed at at least as much as I've been praised :D

Don't let em get you down. Chances are you're having a lot more fun than they are, obstacles, cage rage and all.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
My old Dad always said that you can't force morals or intellegence on someone. I'd just wave as I rode by and he yells.

If I did stop it would be will a,"Since you call out every time I go by I thought I'd show you my bike". You may have a convert to the MB side.

Steve.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
"Some guys hate for no reason"- "Rocky"- 1976

and unfortunately I think it is more true today-

actually I think anti- helmet people are quite ignorant- while a DOT helmet may be a bit heavy and hot, there are still other lightweight alternatives and THEY SAVE LIVES

and prevent more serious injury- I'd probably wear a DOT hard half-helmet at least- if I didn't already have some neck and back issues that are strained by a heavy helmet

but I ALWAYS where a cycling helmet when I ride the motorbike
A thick Kucharik leather helmet saved my life back in 1978 in a bike race.

Pay no attention to the goading jerk, if you can.
Or shoot him as a service to the rest of us!

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
My helmet is a DOT helmet. Its the kind that a lot of dirtbike racers wear, full face but no windshield. Believe me I know the value of a good helmet. I was in an accident back in 09 when I first started riding a MB. I was wearing a mongoose half shell bicycle helmet at the time. I never ride without a lid unless Im just test riding in the alley behind my house, and even then I always watch very carefully for vehicles before starting my bike. I think next time I will pull over and show the guy my bike. If he doesnt want to see it, then I will just leave it be and enjoy the ride.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
The heckler will figure it out. Right now he's thinking slow bicycle, fast helmet.

When you motor away, he KNOWS why you're wearing a motorcycle helmet.

I get the same confused looks at the traffic light

"Why is that bicycle rider wearing a motorcycle helmet?

Vrooom vroom!

Ohhh! THAT'S why!dance1

Do nothing.

Enjoy the ride.drn2

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
Paint it black if trouble persists then take care of busness the right way and find someway to laugh at him such as his apparent lack of brains thats funny not only that hes easly ammused so hes half retarded

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
LOL this reminded of my ultralight flying budy and his helmet back im the 80's. He carried his flight helmet with him on an airline flight to a neighboring state.

He thought that he would amuse everbody by donning his helmet before take-off. They wern't amused, and he almost got kicked off the flight. I guess nowdays they would think he was up to something and would be detained.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
I'd go over to him next time and keel him with kindness. You could pull over on the bike and ask if he needs help as you heard him say something. Then as he notices the motor bike you can start to talk about that and then head your merry way. He will feel like a butt head after that :)

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I'd go over to him next time and keel him with kindness. You could pull over on the bike and ask if he needs help as you heard him say something. Then as he notices the motor bike you can start to talk about that and then head your merry way. He will feel like a butt head after that :)
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, right there. Why can't we all think more like this every day. It would solve a lot of problems. And the really good thing that may happen, the guy that feels like a butt head now may learn a valuable lesson 'bout his own behavior.
Wise advice from fugit. Very wise.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I had a guy on a hog giggle at me today- told me i looked funny on that thing, told him my thing got 200 mpg , he replied dang, not so funny now. even got the jump on him at the green for the 1st 35 foot or so. lol

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I have two DOT certified helmets:
One is the worse for wear, because it did its job (and I keep it around in case my ongoing lawsuit requires that I present it).
The other is the new one I currently wear on my uninjured head, because I am fortunate enough to still be able to enjoy riding. (Although I more cautious than ever now, and will no longer ride through downtown.)