Are banana seats comfortable?

GoldenMotor.com

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
I am toying with some aesthetic changes to my bike one of which includes a banana seat. Do they make remotely comfortable motorized bicycle seats?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
They ride a little stiff in my opinion. The trade off is that you can move around a lot on them and change riding positions. I'd say its worth a try. Many examples on this site.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
GasX,
I too have searched for the Holy Grail of bike saddles & bought a banana seat to try out. They are very uncomfortable for both motorized biking & pedal biking. I wanted one mainly to solve the riding 2-UP issues (daughter likes to go too).
My favorite saddle for MB riding is a big leather rear sprung beach cruiser seat found on eBay for $87 made by Gyes & sold by Darcro.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I installed one on a bike and it looked great but our club makes long rides and 60 to 70 miles is common. After a day on that narrow little seat my skinny butt was sore. Short rides were okay but for long distances something a little more cushy would be better.

If you can do it, or know someone who does upholstery you might want to consider adding some padding. I sold the bike with the banana seat so I never tried to soften it up.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Had one as a kid and loved it- thought it comforatble then- a padded glitter seat looks great in my opinion and you can use a shock post on the front like other seats- AND there are shock sissy bars out there if you look, a little pricey maybe-

I imagine a banana seat with a shock post and shock sissy bars would be really nice.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I installed one on a bike and it looked great but our club makes long rides and 60 to 70 miles is common. After a day on that narrow little seat my skinny butt was sore. Short rides were okay but for long distances something a little more cushy would be better.

If you can do it, or know someone who does upholstery you might want to consider adding some padding. I sold the bike with the banana seat so I never tried to soften it up.

Tom
Damn, that's nice!

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I haven't ridden a banana seat since I was a kid. I loved that bike. ;) I remember they usually used to break between the seat post and the back bars if you put too much force into the seat. But the materials used have changed a lot, so they may be sturdier these days.

Apologies for hijacking your thread for a minute...

Anyone ever find the old Harley seat with the chrome ring around the back and springs under the seat?
You can find something like this:

or this:

Or maybe this:

at Custom Motored Bicycles - BICYCLE PARTS SEATS. Scroll down about a third to half-way down the page. They have some nice looking stuff, haven't placed any orders from them though.

[/hijack]...thanks. ;)

Now, back the banana seat discussion.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
GasX,
I too have searched for the Holy Grail of bike saddles & bought a banana seat to try out. They are very uncomfortable for both motorized biking & pedal biking. I wanted one mainly to solve the riding 2-UP issues (daughter likes to go too).
My favorite saddle for MB riding is a big leather rear sprung beach cruiser seat found on eBay for $87 made by Gyes & sold by Darcro.
-Lowracer-
I've got one like this. They're comfy. I learned my lesson a while back: cheap seats feel cheap, and they ride hard. I don't need to come back from a ride feeling like I've slid down a long banister until I slammed into the newel post. Quality comfortable seats are the bomb!

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA

Tom
Hate to zombie-fy this thread and bring it back from the dead, but I am planning my build and pondering seats. The banana seat has me intrigued; I am thinking I need a shorter banana by my measurements.

The one in this quoted post (I understand bike is long gone); do you remember where the seat came from? It looks pretty short. I think shorter banana seats are called "polo seats"?

Also, that layback seat post; is it one of the solid ones that a member here builds and sells?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hate to zombie-fy this thread and bring it back from the dead, but I am planning my build and pondering seats. The banana seat has me intrigued; I am thinking I need a shorter banana by my measurements.

The one in this quoted post (I understand bike is long gone); do you remember where the seat came from? It looks pretty short. I think shorter banana seats are called "polo seats"?

Also, that layback seat post; is it one of the solid ones that a member here builds and sells?
The bike is sold but it's just down the street from me. :) I went down and measuerd it. 19" end to end. I ordered it through a local bike shop owned by a neighbor. It was in one of his catalogs and came with a 36" tall sissy bar which I used on a chopper build. The rear supports are 1/2" EMT (electrical conduit) And you're correct; it was listed as a 'Polo' style banana seat.

The seat post is 1" solid round stock turned down to 7/8" on the end to fit most standard saddles. I used to make them but since I retired I no longer have access to a lathe.

Tom

EDIT: I found some info. The brand was Sunlite, distributed by J&B Importers. The part number is 4937, Black Polo Saddle. It was purchased about two years ago.
Hope that helps.

Tom

Last edited: