4 stroke in Panther Frame

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I'm building a bike for my girl friend using a '53 straight bar Panther frame. I was mocking it up last night and it appears that the motor will sit too low for the furnished 3 piece motor mounts to allow for much of a crank sprocket. I can make up motor mounts , but was wondering if I'm missing something. Someone must have put a 4 stroke in an old Panther before.
I remember seeing on some bike web site some smaller crank sprockets. Is that all that needs to be done? Is this one of those "all of the above" deals where the mounts, sprockets and other custom pieces need to be done?
Thanks

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Could you post pics?

If you don't already have an engine, could go with one that's head lays back rather then st8 up. That way you could mount it higher.

Found this on search using "panther" Google Custom Search

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I won't be able to post for a few days. Moving. No service at the new place yet so I'm on my work 'putor.
I have a GXH and a HS clone. Using ezm stuff. I spent some time on the search and appreciate you taking the time. I can see that the 2 strokes fit nicely but I'm set on using the GXH.
The problen is the thickness of the EZM motormount and the probability of it interferring with the crank sprocket.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I can not say enough good about the GX. It really is an awesome engine.

I didn't look threw those links, all 2 smoke, eh? Sorry about that. But soon we can site your build.

OT but for rides and getting online w/ a laptop, I found a freebie thing that connects to the internet via a cell phone. Links are on this thread if you could use it while your off line; http://motorbicycling.com/f28/internet-access-via-cell-phone-laptop-31419.html
First 30 days you can go to any website but after that it is restricted. Not all that free, lol.

Last edited:

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Looks like the Worksman sprocket will be the ticket. Thanks everybody. I got myself kinda worked up as I really didn't want to start welding on a nearly 60 year old frame even though the building of the mounts wouldn't be difficult.