Wanting my first MB on a budget! A few easy questions

GoldenMotor.com

Tommy92l

Jan 18, 2016
usa
Hey guys.

So, I've yet to ever set foot on one of these bikes, but I saw how they almost looked like a little cafe racer and was hooked.

The bicycle kit I was looking at was this - http://spookytoothcycles.com/motorized-bicycles-diy/2-stroke-stealth-motorized-bicycle.html

I have spent 350 dollars on a nice BMX bike, and people say "Don't buy cheap!". So does that make this bike okay for $450 (+Kit) or does it make it cheap? I'm assuming since this is a fairly popular kit that, most of you have seen it around by now.

Also, how does it work with being in PA and having one of these? I know for the most part it's personal preference of the cop not wanting to stop you or not.

I've looked all over the forum and some have said that NO one bothers them, others have said that they've simply given up on titling or registering it. It's simply a bicycle.

The reason why I ask this is because my dad is a big time Harley guy. He has a gorgeous Suzuki Intruder with low mileage and just needs some money put into the Carb to fix it.

I've yet to ride a motorcycle so I'm not sure if I should just bite the bullet and spend the money fixing the Motorcycle, or if I can travel around town for fun on this little bike (Not as a serious driver). Just as I would do with the Suzuki.

TL;DR

Is this a good bike kit - http://spookytoothcycles.com/motorized-bicycles-diy/2-stroke-stealth-motorized-bicycle.html

Can I drive it the same as a motorcycle around town in PA without too much trouble? Or should I just put the money into fixing a motorcycle.

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
Hey welcome to the forum. I don't know much about the laws in PA or about motorcycles, but I can advise you on if you want to build a motor bike.

That kit looks fine, nothing seems to be wrong with it, but I'm sure you're paying a premium on those two products when you buy from spooky tooth. If I were you, I would look for a bike that you really like and buy a motor kit from eBay. You can get a kit as cheap as $110. You would save yourself some money, or end up with a nicer bike than that one (you could buy a $340 bike with a $110 kit to match the price of that particular combo you're looking at). Just make sure the bike would fit the engine.

But whatever route you choose to go here are some quick essential tips on these 2-strokes:
-Replace the spark plug / wire with high quality ones from sickbikeparts.com or at an auto shop.
-Replace the fuel line
-Replace the engine hardware (studs/bolts), they sell kits at sickbikeparts but you can also fine them at Ace hardware
-If you can spare the ~$80, get a manic mechanic sprocket adapter. One of the hardest parts about building these is putting the sprocket on. A sprocket adapter makes it really easy, makes your build a lot more sturdier, and ensures a perfectly true sprocket.
-Make sure the engine mount is solid

scrollerguy

Nov 8, 2008
Midcoast Maine
Or as they say, The Devil Hates a Coward.

After researching all I need to know on this website, I would jump in with both feet.

If you are tenacious, you will be rewarded with a very satisfied feeling, as you stand back and admire your "Creation".

Just remember it's a learning curve, and most people find it to be rather easy. Take a look at what some have done and you will be inspired.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
these are not motorcycles - the bike frame is always fighting the motor - things will want to shake off from vibration and hitting potholes hard at speeds greater than the bike was designed for

only a careful rider who becomes good with tools will be able to keep one of these as reliable transport

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have bought kits from several different suppliers, all have been good if you do a few things before you ever run them. I, like a lot here disassemble a new motor and clean it up before I run it. Its amazing how good a low end motor runs when you clean up a few casting flaws.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
It would probably be cheaper to fix the Suzuki.

I register everything I build or ride. Even bicycles. Better to do stuff the right way in my opinion. Most people riding 2-stroke bicycles here in CA are technically riding illegally. The law states bikes must be registered and have an automatic transmission (among other things), and the two-strokes all have a manual transmission and most people don't register them.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I agree that the suzuki would be the better choice for the money

CA law say if it has auto trans, it must be registered - no CA law says manuals must be registered - it is not against any CA law to ride the 2-stroke in CA

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Crassius
That's funny! As here you can't be over 50cc,no manual shifting. CVT is good. And not over 2Hp.................Curt

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Honestly, I enjoy the whole building process. I have a little difference of opinion than some, but either way, just my thoughts.

The kit looks great, but DAAAM, it's a bit, um.... Expensive. Do some good research and get a decent engine kit for less than 200. I don't like ebay for these kits, but if you have ANY mechanical know-how, you can feel free to buy a cheap ebay kit and be ok.

Don't go overboard. Buy a decent first bike, from walmart, and learn. My favorite part of the whole experience is the build (like I previously stated). as your first build, take your time, learn, and experiment. Almost all these kits are identical (from a manufacturing standpoint). where you will pay more money is the customer service. When I built my first bike in 2010, everyone told me to stay away from gasbike.net and their other online stores. I don't know if they got any better, but, customer service is my #1 priority.

Pick a bike that can withstand the 2 stroke abuse. Just because the engine fits, doesn't mean the bike can take it. These bikes (specially the beach cruizers) are made for pedaling up and down the beach, street... They are made to go under 2-4 MPH. You're about to make it go upwards of 20-25 MPH. Bearings, brakes, and spokes (not to mention frame) are going to get a lot of abuse that they were not made for. So, make sure you pick wisely.

But, most importantly, enjoy your time putting it together. As you install everything, you will learn a lot. How the needle works to enrich or lean out the air to fuel mixture. How the clutch works. How to put the hideous sprocket on. If I were you, I would buy a sprocket adapter with the kit. It makes your life sooooooo much easier, and the bike run a lot smoother.

In a while, after a lot of breaking in, tinkering, cursing and probably bleeding, you'll start to upgrade. That's when you get a good bike, a better motor. Maybe put different handle bars, seats, suspension, disk brakes....

As far as the law, don't be LAZY. You're in front of a screen. Go to your DMV website and do your research. Find out the law, and stay in the local law's limits. Don't be an idiot and piss off your neighbors. They'll call the cops, and you'll hate life. Not to mention fines, impound, and just making the MB community look bad.

So, best of luck to you. Most importantly HAVE FUN!!!!!