Aluminum billet covers- any sound difference?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I see they are now coming in anodized red and blue- A bit expensive for my practicality concerns-

Does anyone use them and is there any difference in the volume of the motor noise? plus or minus?

Any difference in the WEIGHT of them?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
If they are built nice and solid they should change the way the engine sounds some but probably wont cut down very much on the gear noise etc... I see some of them are vented for better clutch or ignition cooling and these would be louder, but a nice solid and closed up cover, especially if it has some fins cut into it would help cut down some of the noise, or at least make it sound slightly more pleasant...

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A few grams here, a few grams there- has always been the cycling way. "An ounce off the wheels is like two off the frame" is what Olympic cyclists used to say.

I use titanium allen bolts on the covers. With an aluminum sprocket, bolted directly to a large flange hub with titanium bolts, eliminating the heavy chain tensioner completely, and a 415 Trike Industrial chain at about half the kit chain's weight, the kit weight has really dropped quite a bit. Now if only we could get a smaller plastic frame tank with a lightweight vented cap.

I'm not a souped up kind of builder- you can tell.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Does a few grams really make that much of a difference?
The simple answer is Yes... They will deaden some of the gear noise but they won't completely quiet the noise down... remember back in the late 60's / early 70's when muscle cars had these cool looking finned aftermarket valve covers? the reason for these were because the cast aluminum was more rigid than the stock stamped steel so they would seal better, but the other reasons for the rigid cast aluminum was to help deaden the valvetrain noise. A lot of muscle cars back then used solid lifter cams so the valvtrain always had this noisy ticking sound that could usually be heard at idle... Adding fins to the valve covers made a noticeable difference deadening this noise. It didn't completely eliminate the noise, but it did make a noticeable difference.

Tne same goes for those sound deadening mats they sell to put inside your clutch and magneto covers, there's not a lot to them but they do a good job quieting the gear noise... Kinda the same way stuff like Dynomat is used in a lot of car builds to keep the road noises out.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
A few grams here, a few grams there- has always been the cycling way. "An ounce off the wheels is like two off the frame" is what Olympic cyclists used to say.

I'm not a souped up kind of builder- you can tell.
You really think that minute weight savings make much difference when the rider is 300lbs?

Olympic cyclist don't have an ounce of fat on them.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Well, I'm too heavy, but I'm NOT 300 lbs. Maybe time to lay off the training table.

A few years back, I was pushing my bikes up a flight of apartment stairs.
Other than that it's just a matter of aesthetics. A lighter bike handles better and is more efficient- both my builds are under 50 pounds. If I had my perfect build- it might weigh more like only 40 pounds, have a 40cc motor a longer pipe and muffler , a lightweight tank 700 x 32 wheels- it would do 20-25 and pedal as well as most American built clunkers.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
There IS one other issue with the billet covers that some of them are wider than the standard engine covers so make sure you know what kind of pedal to side case clearance you got before buying.. From what I've heard, these are wide enough to cause the cranks to hit.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... those work really well too... I got the idea after seeing those to use some of that flex seal stuff on the inside of my clutch and mag covers... the stuff cures as a rubbery coat so it can deaden some of that tinny noise as well as reduce the gear noise... it takes a few coats and the first coat needs to be pretty close to cured before the second coat is applied, then repeat for a third coat and its thick enough to make a noticeable difference. Small rubber spacers between the fins on the jug can also help.