Gotta get a new carb

GoldenMotor.com

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Hey guys. I haven't been riding the motorized bicycle that much, since I've went through about 3 scooters, 3 motorcycles and 4 cars since last July.

OK, so I still ride the bike once a week, just to keep it running and lubed up. Since I moved to the new bike "same motor", it hasn't run that well. I have a 66cc china girl engine, added the jack-shaft and removed from a Huffy Panama Jack to a 7 speed mountain bike with full front suspension.

But, when I ride, and the motor warms up, it feels like an air leak is going on. The engine rises in RPM pretty bad. To the point I have to let the clutch out to decrease RPMs to a believable level. I tried to trouble shoot it. I looked at the most obvious place, the carb connection with the engine. I got a set of Harbor Freight gaskets, and found the right one. I RTV'ed the intake, and it's still a little off.

I think it might be a carburetor issue. So, one way or another, I'm going to get myself a new carb.

I've been reading posts here, and the best one (I can see) is the That's Dax RT carb. Not saying it's the best, just best bang for the buck, including maintenance and all other stuff included.

What do you guys think? I'll try to keep troubleshooting, but in the time being, what carb should I get? Do you guys recommend the Dax RT? Or should I go Speed Carb?

Thanks guys!!.crt.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
cant say much for the RT, as i havnt used it. but i seen many of many ppl talking about it.
speed carb on the other hand, when i was running it, it ran like a hot dam!! easy tuning and easy idle. till i got it dirty :(

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
So, you like the Speed carb? I want something that I wouldn't have to mess with too bad. I may also get a new intake, so I get a better seal.

Basically, RT carb, NT carb or Speed carb? Which is going to give me less headache, with decent performance???

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I have run the RT, NT, and NT Speed and I can say the RT is the best performer to me but it was too rich to begin with(4 stroking, and Im at sea level) and I had to jet it down but it comes with jets so its no big deal.

The NT Speed seems to be pretty close on the jetting right out of the box(for me at sea level) and is close in performance to the RT but I still would give the nod performance wise to the RT by a hair.

Last edited:

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
So, I got bored, and got to taking apart my carb. I don't need a new one, I just needed to fix the current one. I had the needle and sleeve stuck. Plus, the RPM rise that I had came from the throttle cable pulling the throttle half way open. So, as the bike warmed up, the RPMs flew through the roof. It was kinda scary.
But now, Adjusted that cable, enriched the needle from 2nd lean to middle (I have 5 positions in mine), and took it for a ride.
I have to say, I'm very pleased. Before you go crazy buying a million things to fix a problem, one needs to just calm down, and think of everything from the smallest nut and bold. Mine was just a matter of ensuring the carburetor was properly set up, and properly jetted.

Cost was $0.00. Music to my ears!!!