Using Oil Jugs For Gas : No Opinions - Only Experience.

GoldenMotor.com

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I does look like a bomb(the kind with bear and u light the fuse and throw it and it shatters and the alcohol goes everywhere and ignites) lol I cant remember the name of these.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
for large fuel storage of pre-mixed fuel, i use one gallon plastic bottles that are commonly used for windshield washer fluid. these are the same containers that model airplane fuel is sold in.

i use seafoam metal containers for smaller storage that fits into my bike bag.

you can also hang around a hobby shop and find someone who buys model truck/car fuel by the quart. these quart size bottles are perfect for needing fuel storage on the road.

warning; the plastic bottles are not vented so you should keep them out of direct sunlight or store in areas where they get heated. i have stored them in direct sun as a test with no issues but better safe than sorry.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The plastic jugs & bottles you speak of here for RC fuels contain a mixture of mostly Methynol ( Wood Alcohol ) 5-30% Nitro Methane & oil (Synthetic and Castor oil mixed typically @ 12-20%) for planes and land vehicles.

These Chemicals wont affect plastic like gasoline will if the plastic is the wrong type so be careful using some plastic bottles and be sure they are vented when putting gasoline in them in my opinion, Alcohol doesnt build up the pressure in a container like gas does, I know many use all sorts of ways to store a bit of extra fuel and that is fine as long as the container is a safe one.

I buy my RC Fuel in 1 gal, square steel cans (PowerMaster) brand because over time the Nitro methane will evaporate out of the plastic jugs, I plan to make me a 1 Gal fuel tank from one of the cans when I get the time, I'm not gonna haul gas around on my bike in a plastic jug, it may be OK but I dont feel good about doing it so I will stay with either Alum. or steel containers myself.

Peace

for large fuel storage of pre-mixed fuel, i use one gallon plastic bottles that are commonly used for windshield washer fluid. these are the same containers that model airplane fuel is sold in.

i use seafoam metal containers for smaller storage that fits into my bike bag.

you can also hang around a hobby shop and find someone who buys model truck/car fuel by the quart. these quart size bottles are perfect for needing fuel storage on the road.

warning; the plastic bottles are not vented so you should keep them out of direct sunlight or store in areas where they get heated. i have stored them in direct sun as a test with no issues but better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I've been using those plastic RC fuel container which are the same containers for windshield washer fluid for over 12 years with NO problems or issues to include degradation of the container. In fact, I just mixed another batch fo 32:1 fuel today in one. I like using them because I add the oil to the container than fill up with gas and then cap it and shake it vigorously to mix the oil into the fuel.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
you are right Drewd there are many of the jugs that work just fine with gas, heck when I was a kid my dad kept gas in old bleach jugs all the time and they never got soft or melted.

I wasnt disputing you in any way and if it sounded like I was I appoligize it was unintended....

Peace

I've been using those plastic RC fuel container which are the same containers for windshield washer fluid for over 12 years with NO problems or issues to include degradation of the container. In fact, I just mixed another batch fo 32:1 fuel today in one. I like using them because I add the oil to the container than fill up with gas and then cap it and shake it vigorously to mix the oil into the fuel.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Not to bring to life an old thread, but to add info:
We use Coleman white gas cans as gas storage. A $1 fishtank air pump rock (bubbles air inside tank) stuck through the cap snugly lets it breathe, and prevents leaks. They can take a surprising amount of abuse. Not bulletproof by any means.
Hope this helps someone.