headlight for chopper

GoldenMotor.com

tobywalters

Nov 27, 2012
australia
hey my chopper has a crappy headlight and i wanted a bigger one that i could connect up to the magneto and wasnt sure how it would work and if it would work well i was thinking a fairly large one , any ideas?dance1.trk

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It would help to know what engine you have but if it's a Chinese 2 stroke, you don't have many options.

As long as the lamp doesn't draw more than about 2.5 watts. That's all you'll get from the white wire/magneto, and it won't be much light. If the lamp draws more it will kill the ignition and your engine won't run.

I'd suggest mounting a SLA (sealed lead acid) battery, something around 5 to 7 AH (amp hour) and 12 volt to run your light. Recharge the battery after an evening ride.

I carry a 7.5 AH battery and I have a 55 watt sealed beam headlight. I can get a full hour of good illumination. I also have two bikes with 35 watt headlights. I can ride for close to two hours before the light starts to dim. Two hours is a lot of riding, especially at night.

Tom

Last edited:

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
whizzer usa has whizzer ambassador headlights that are really sharp looking.......providing your bike has power and battery I dont see why you couldnt use one.