New York laws

GoldenMotor.com

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
I just got an e-mail from a guy in Port Chester, NY, who I had sold a MB to a few weeks ago. He said he loved the bike, but now is going to sell it because he's seen the cops seize one just like it from someone there.
Don't take this lying down. This is not supposed to be fascist police state. If someone is quoting you a law concerning your chosen mode of transportation, demand to see the law in writing. If it isn't clearly written somewhere for the public to see, it doesn't exist. Don't let them get away with this.

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Bruce, I fully agree. Infact I called NYSDMV tech services again. I learned several things (thanks to a patient man on the phone) who's name I won't mention. My previous posts in this thread give the number tho.

A) electric bikes are legal up to 250 watts on bike paths and private property. DMV didn't specify whether path meant greenway path or roadside path. They did site Section 16 CFR 15 - 12.

B)DMV also failed to site the Law construing it illegal to put a motor on a bicycle however did say opperating in public subjects the rider to DMV Law.

As for confiscation: If this thing ever get's confiscated on the first time getting a razzing by the Local Yocal, you can bet I'll call the State Police and say I've been robbed (be sure to get a badge and car number). They'd better hope they've got thier paper work together because I'll be damned before they give it to one of thier son's to ride arround

brucemg51

Jul 10, 2008
As for confiscation: If this thing ever get's confiscated on the first time getting a razzing by the Local Yocal, you can bet I'll call the State Police and say I've been robbed (be sure to get a badge and car number). They'd better hope they've got thier paper work together because I'll be damned before they give it to one of thier son's to ride arround
Reminds me of that episode of Reno 911. The cops busted some kids who were riding a go-cart. The kids ran off and left the go-cart behind. As soon as the kids were out of sight, the cops took turns riding on the go-cart.:crash:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Here is a thought... Call your local news papers and TV stations.. Let them know what is going on. Tell them you have a bicycle that gets over 100mpg and because of it, the local authorities are threatening to take it from you.. Ask why? And ask the Media to investigate why the locals want to take your bicycle. Is it because it gets over 100 mpg and is as green as it gets? Is local government in the pocket of big oil? Ask the media about this. Also, look at the AZ state law which was just passed to reflect the federal law allowing motor assisted bicycles. Look at Canada, they just passed a nation wide law allowing Motor assisted bicycles..Tell the media you want to see this in your state to conserve fuel and go green. Call the media. And I mean call all the media outlets. Not just one.. Call them all. Get the Media to help you go green !!! If you call them all, the first media that covers your story will win. And it is about winning.. And it is about conserving and going green. Also.. Call Roland at spooky tooth and ask him what he did to get his state to approve the federal law. That will help too. Thanks..Enjoy the ride...

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Roland and our AZ rep. Tom Prezelski helped change the law. I may be wrong but I believe Prezelski wrote the law and even spoke to the Tucson City council along with Roland.

If it wasn't for Roland owner of Spooky Tooth cycles and Prezelski, we would be in the same situation.

Here is a video of Roland speaking to the City Council

Motorized Bicycle City Council.mpg

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Backfire? What is there to backfire? I thought you said the cops have been taking bikes on site!! It does not get any worse than that. What is there to backfire? I am just trying to help you .. I would never tell anyone to do anything I would never do myself. I have gone to the media and I have been on TV and yes.. It helps big time. Just have a plan and stick to it. You are in the right wanting to ride your 100mpg bicycle. And.

Also.. Let me say this.. Roland has done more for motor assisted bicycles than anyone I can think of. There are those that claim to fame and would like to believe they are the movement.. But.. I must say.. Roland has done the most by far. Roland gets Motor Assisted Man of the Year in my view.. Heck..Man of this Century !! Go Roland!!! Enjoy the ride...

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Dax

Right on man! You have to understand tho, people in NY are shown in movies to be tough guy's. The movies are right if there's 10 or more! These people are cowards here. Our local government is so dishonest we need to pay a control board in Buffalo to tell our elected officials how to spend our tax money!

If just one of our politicians came face to face with a pack of coyote's or Black bear in our woods, like I have on several occasion they'd carp themselves while dialing 911! -Hello, what's your emergency? -There's a rattle snake in here the woods and well are the attracted to carp??? No Senator just keep walking the other way, thier almost as scarred of you as you are of them.

If the rest of the Country is waiting for the next Tea Party to start here, it should be ready to wait until 3009, after peolple are done complaining about the cell phone ticket recieved from running over 10 pedestrians.

These people are pathetic, as they have allowed our impotent ELECTED leadership to take away our rights systematically (much like California and Flordia are heading). Our Country needs a third party like the Wigs.

I couldn't agree more with Dax (once again) and further consider the following scenario. Power goes out, impossible right? The power company spent all it's money influencing elections and has no money for fixing the grid, impossible right??? The power was out here in Buffalo for well over a week, search (October storm Buffalo, NY).

How much trouble would I have gotten in for runnin my HT in the street in order to power a couple car alternator's? Efficient??? Anybody try it??? Take your tire off of your rim. Ask your nieghbor's to pretend power's been out for over a mere two day's. See if the local PD would mind the noise of thier refridgerator running! These people live in a fantasy world up here Dax!

I'm not trying to degrade anybody, but I'm not going to look for a fight with a gang of thug's alone. Thug's being our political representation in NY. Master lock (made in China) proud sponsor of U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security.

How much thicker can they spead the fertilizer? If your not part of the solution, you are the problem!

Anybody reading this thread is welcome to become pollitically motivated in NY by contacting me. I will sent up another e-mail account and see how many are willing to let me do the talking and just nod thier head while approaching the local News in WNY. E-mail address to be announced at latter date w/further contact info.

I'm just getting started , but remember the next nice day (driving to work w/ windows down listening to music). You are as guilty as our representation. Every penny in gas you spend goes toward the terrorist slaughter of one of our loyal and brainwashed American kids. Those of faith, please pray, those behind creation of stupid regulation WILL REGRET IT, SOONER OR MAYBE A LITTLE LATER WHEN THEY GO BEFORE THE JUDGE OF JUDGE'S! Not tryin to worry anybody, but these politicians believe they are above all. In the end they become fertalizer, like me and you. I guess it comes down to what you believe?

Last edited:

countryboy1958

Oct 10, 2008
New York State
Hey count me in.
I'm in NY also and we should be able to ride.
My local police don't mind around here but it should be ok all over the state.
Let me know just what part of this I may help in???

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hey, just a thought, maybe it's better to have these motorbikes "decriminalized" instead of legalized. I thought they did the same thing in (san francisco?) california with prostitution. If it's decriminalized instead of legalized then we won't have to pay taxes or fees for license.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Years ago I read a book titled "The Magic of Thinking Big" . Since reading that book I've been thinking big. LOL
A mass ride/rally of MBers right through Manhattan with a destination in front of NBC or Fox studio street level windows. Maybe MCs, scooters, nopeds and mopeds in the group also. If there were enough participants, is the NYPD gonna bust everyone? In front of a live news studio?
Probably not they'll just wait down the street, but cameras in the group can capture all the heavy-handed tactics for you tube.
:crash:

(I gotta de-caf I guess...):eek:

Even simpler might be a petition drive to put it on the ballot or recall the useless parasites.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
Big thinking Weedylot! But, if we did this in manhattan, we would be run over by taxis. I have heard stories of how the NYPD deals with nusiances; they are heavy-handed. There are many videos on youtube that show this. Just a few months ago an officer in NYC pushed a bicyclist to the ground. In the video the officer appeared to purposely do this as the bicylclist was riding in the street. There are also other video's of what officers do to 911 truthers.

dyzionyc

Dec 19, 2008
ny long island
Im in, i live in deer park, im waiting for my HT in the mail, im gonna use it as my only motive of transportation since i had my license taken away(unjustly). and ill just be very careful and use that kill switch anytime i see feds. and take back roads. Use the 100 MPG pitch to tell them im going green maybe get a GO GREEN bumper sticker or sumthing.

machiasmort

Aug 10, 2008
Buffalo,NY
Dyzionyc

They don't care bout nothin but revenue in NY. Be heads up on the kill switch (i use the choke)(better on the elct system) and start pedaling!

Get permission from a friend who owns a business w/ a parking lot to ride. That and a headlight to run exclusively off the white wire (LEDS). Two good excuses infront of a judge why your motor was running! Never admitt to being under motor power tho! I alway pedal except on private property your Honor! This don't garentee a win in Court but gives a real good argument!

frankz

Jul 12, 2008
wollyworld has nice little plates from your state.... i like the kansas one that says "jesus loves me" but they have most names and like

frankz

Jul 12, 2008
instead of the choke i just set the idle till it barely runs........then turn it down a bit... that way pull the clutch and motor stops

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
the guys need a real solution to there gas bike requirements,rules & regulations.Go to mopedarmy.com/wiki/Moped_laws and there you will find the laws regarding these gas bikes. I live on Staten Island part of NYC and I bought & registered a bike back in Sept 2008.

Bicycleman48

Mar 20, 2009
New York
Hi FM2200 !!! How exactly did you go about it ?? I have just gotten into motorized bicycles and learning all about NYS law. What kind of motor bike did you buy ?? Is it a motor bike or a motorbike registered as a moped ? Can you pedal it ?? New York DMV regulations are quite antiquated, to say the least. I know that Electric Motor Pedal Assist bikes are being used all over the city. I am just concerned with encounters with law enforcement. If you can shed any light or outline what you did, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks so much..flg.

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
Im in, i live in deer park, im waiting for my HT in the mail, im gonna use it as my only motive of transportation since i had my license taken away(unjustly). and ill just be very careful and use that kill switch anytime i see feds. and take back roads. Use the 100 MPG pitch to tell them im going green maybe get a GO GREEN bumper sticker or sumthing.
that is the exact situation i am in. does it matter if the engine is running or just on the bike for them to take it away. all i know is if they try to take it they are gonna have to work extra hard to get it.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Big thinking Weedylot! But, if we did this in manhattan, we would be run over by taxis. I have heard stories of how the NYPD deals with nusiances; they are heavy-handed. There are many videos on youtube that show this. Just a few months ago an officer in NYC pushed a bicyclist to the ground. In the video the officer appeared to purposely do this as the bicylclist was riding in the street. There are also other video's of what officers do to 911 truthers.
Do you have any links to these videos? If so could you please post them....