Opening the door to motorized bicycles?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have been trying to spread the word to people about motorized bikes for awhile now.

I have managed to get four people on bicycles, but haven't gotten them to see the light about putting a bicycle motor kit on them yet. Two of them wanted to know why they would want to mount a "heavy engine" on their bikes. I tried to explain that they could go "see the world" for a few cents (O.K. a dollar) in gas as opposed to pedalling down to the liquor store....maybe tomorrow.

Seems you have to be a motorhead in (at least) the minor degrees to appreciate the motorized bicycle engine kits.:confused:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
In my case if it wasn't a necessity I would never have started this. It isn't just the balance thing or even the stop driving or else ultimatum. Those things made bikes of some kind inevitable to keep any kind of independence. It was in large part the heart thing and not being able to pedal a bike uphill that moved me to motorized bikes.

In other words the stars and planets have to in alignment to create a motor biker. Not in the same alignment for everyone for each of us is a little unique.

I wonder if all of us have fond memories of a motorcycle in our younger days, or of a minibike or dirt bike. Maybe we just always wanted one who knows.

My bike gets a lot of looks but when I tell them I had to build it, the number of people whose eyes glaze over is amazing. Just turn right off they do. I expect it is one of those things that people would buy and ride a few times then it would collect dust. Of course with the ever increasing price of gasoline and automobiles that might change.

Of course I refused to put my fat butt on one of those tiny scooters. No class at all in those but they are a growing industry as well.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've had better luck then you Joe. Three friends, two neighbor's, four co-workers, Nancy ( a lady I met on the side of the road) and my double suspension I sold in Mexico.
The guy I sold my bike to in Mexico is always contacting my family to contact me because he wants to go into business selling MB's in Mexico. But I have no interest in doing that.
Sometimes I think I should make a flyer. I love to stop and chit chat with people about MB's. But when I'm on my way to work, I just dont have the time to answer all there questions.
As gas keeps going up, these bikes will become more popular. And manufactures are noticing the growing world of motorized bike's. I dont think it will be long before we have aftermarket parts to choose from. I dont think it will be long before Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, ect. jump into the ring. At least that is what I hope.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Aw come on now that's the fun of it a game of "stump the chump" when it breaks down or won't run keeps a guy thinking.
the girl form England talked about stream powered bikes I'm wondering if a guy could use the latest tech. and build a stream turbine powered bike with all of the goodies as small or smaller than the current bike's engine package would that be cool! A stream whistle would wake the dead for a horn.(^)
For fuel anything that will burn to make steam would work form oil to alcohol to used cooking oils something t think about. I'm interested in solar power but don't know a thing about it yet.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i think every time we take our motorized bicycles for a ride we are opening the door for more riders. people see them and are amazed and curios and sure a lot of them look into it to find out what they just saw