have motor that floods out after clutch pulled

GoldenMotor.com

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
where the throttle cable goes into your carb there is an adjuster nut, fiddle with that until you have it idling.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
usflgwhat causes this problem?????
Sorry, my telekinetic skills to actually read your mind and look at your bike is off today.

Perhaps you could actually take the time to say exactly what engine and carb you have, why you think it's flooding, and a picture of your engine mount would be helpful during this supernatural powers blockage?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sorry, my telekinetic skills to actually read your mind and look at your bike is off today.

Perhaps you could actually take the time to say exactly what engine and carb you have, why you think it's flooding, and a picture of your engine mount would be helpful during this supernatural powers blockage?
A nicer way to say this is:

You'll need to provide us with some information before we can offer any help.
What engine and carburetor do you have?
What have you tried to remedy the problem?

We have no other way to assist you if we don't know what we're working with.

I've moved this thread to the 'Trouble Shooting section where it will get better exposure. Always post your questions in the appropriate section for better and faster response.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
usflgwhat causes this problem?????
I took just a moment to go to your public profile and I see three pics of bikes you have there and each has a china girl 2 smoker on them.

it looks as if one has standard NT carb, one has what looks to be the NT Speed carb, and the last pic shows the dellorto type RT carb.

is it the bike with RT carb that sputters and dies when you pull in clutch to slow down or stop?

I have an RT carb that does the same thing, Idle on this carb has always been off a little and engine will die about 80% of the time when clutch is pulled to coast down a hill or to stop or slow down.

Not sure if what I just described is what you have happening or if the bike inyour album with the RT carb is the one with the issue, but I figured since you didnt provide much info in you initial post Id just throw this out there.

gove some details and even pix if possible and maybe we can help you figure this problem out.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I had this problem with the RT after it was jetted for a good 2 cycle and good plug color. I had to go back and richen the mix, bigger jet, to stop the problem. Seems the lean mix just wasn't enough to maintain a good idle. I sold the bike to a friend and he rides it a lot but the engine never sounds as clean and crisp as it did with the smaller jet. It was a trade-off between good idle or strong top end.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I had this problem with the RT after it was jetted for a good 2 cycle and good plug color. I had to go back and richen the mix, bigger jet, to stop the problem. Seems the lean mix just wasn't enough to maintain a good idle. I sold the bike to a friend and he rides it a lot but the engine never sounds as clean and crisp as it did with the smaller jet. It was a trade-off between good idle or strong top end.

Tom
I personally have began to lean more toward a well tuned NT or especially I really like the NT Speed for the best all around carb for stock all the way to a moderTely well built up HT.

The RT carb does a good job and is very responsive no doubt, but as many of us know that for most people the NT carbs are next to impossible to beat for ease of tuning and overall reliability.

If someone builds their engine and bike to be capable of mid to upper 40's mph the NT carb will feed it just fine, may take it a little longer to get there than with a slightly larger carb but it will get the job done, I've done 48 mph flat out on the Kulana bike running the NT Speed and they always idle perfectly when tuned right.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ditto, big time.
That venerable NT is almost impossible to beat for all-round pleasure riding. If you want to race, sure there might be better alternatives but racers are a minority and their engines far from stock. Even slightly modified engines will perform just fine with the NT. Give it clean fuel, the right size jet and you're golden. Bigger isn't always better, unless you're talking displacement.

(The only alternative for cubic inches.....is more cubic inches) :)

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ditto, big time.
That venerable NT is almost impossible to beat for all-round pleasure riding. If you want to race, sure there might be better alternatives but racers are a minority and their engines far from stock. Even slightly modified engines will perform just fine with the NT. Give it clean fuel, the right size jet and you're golden. Bigger isn't always better, unless you're talking displacement.

(The only alternative for cubic inches.....is more cubic inches) :)

Tom
as usual you said it even better than me Tom.....

Many people dont seem to understand that the one item that contributes less than anything to bad or under performance is the NT carb.

Getting a "good" HT from the get go and setting it up right with exhaust that will allow the engine to breathe good is a much bigger de iding factor about the percormance the engine will deliver low medium and top end.