is motorized tandem legal?

GoldenMotor.com

poppyzhao

Mar 26, 2013
china
Hi, first i want to ask what is tandem? Is it for two person ride? I rode it once in China, it is for touring a big park. Is it the same? Is it common in US? Is it legal for motorized? I think it is must be cool after motorized..wee.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
As far as I know, a tandem is the same as any other bike for legal definitions. If a single is legal, a tandem should be as well. Search the threads, there are a few motorized tandems in here somewhere.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Yes, it's a 2 person bicycle. Not overly popular here but most often seen with two people when they are traveling on a long trip, such as across the country. It makes it easier when two people are on the same bike with all their camping equipment and clothing.

Legal in most places as far as I know since there are two seats and two sets of pedals. You are usually not allowed to carry someone as a passenger on a motorized bike. That's if they are just sitting on the bike and don't have pedals to use.

My brothers daughter just came back from Shanghai where she was learning Mandarin.

Steve.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Just to confirm, a tandem is for 2 people? or could it also be for 3 or 4?
I've seen bikes with 3 or 4 saddles before, all behind one another.

Over here you can carry a passenger, just as long as he has a valid seat to sit on.
One example for instance would be a motorized riksha:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
In California a bicycle is 2 or 3 wheels powered by pedals.
CA motorized bikes have the same 2 or 3 wheels rule.

So this one would be a legal motorized bike if it had a motor. :D
It would be a pain to do U turns on and maybe any kind of turn,
have to swing into the next lane like a semi truck with trailer.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
In California a bicycle is 2 or 3 wheels powered by pedals.
CA motorized bikes have the same 2 or 3 wheels rule.

So this one would be a legal motorized bike if it had a motor. :D
It would be a pain to do U turns on and maybe any kind of turn,
have to swing into the next lane like a semi truck with trailer.

Three or four people could fall off the back of the bike and you would never know it laff A 750cc V-twin might be an option for that build :D Or eight china girls in a row........

dnut

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
in california, you need an m2 or an m1 license to operate a motored bike. since a tandem has two sets of pedals, that's two operators, right?

i wonder if you'd both need a license.

now, to confuse the cops even more, if you only have a permit, you're not allowed to carry a passenger. unless they're licensed, like an instructor. so one of you would need to be fully licensed.

if you were fully licensed, you could carry a passenger, but he'd have to ride in the back, since the guy steering would technically be the driver.

it's these kind of things that keep me awake at night...

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
in california, you need an m2 or an m1 license to operate a motored bike. since a tandem has two sets of pedals, that's two operators, right?

i wonder if you'd both need a license.

now, to confuse the cops even more, if you only have a permit, you're not allowed to carry a passenger. unless they're licensed, like an instructor. so one of you would need to be fully licensed.

if you were fully licensed, you could carry a passenger, but he'd have to ride in the back, since the guy steering would technically be the driver.

it's these kind of things that keep me awake at night...
voice in background............go to bed Baird........you need to sleep.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I've tried to find a rickshaw here in Canada but anyone who has one either won't sell it or they want a lot of money for it.
When I said it had to have pedals for everyone on the bike what I meant was that it had to be designed to carry a passenger like a rickshaw or the tricar that I'm building where the passenger has a seat in the front. A regular motorized bicycle or moped usually isn't allowed to carry passengers according to what I've read. Certainly not in Canada.

Steve.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Ow, the Canadians are such nitpickers ;)

Over here, the engine could still be <49cc, and <2BHP, and do <20MPH, and it would be seen as a moped, as it doesn't matter how many passengers a vehicle has.
I guess we're more lucky than you ;)

poppyzhao

Mar 26, 2013
china
As far as I know, a tandem is the same as any other bike for legal definitions. If a single is legal, a tandem should be as well. Search the threads, there are a few motorized tandems in here somewhere.
yes, i see, lots of person build the tandem by themselves. It will be very cool of the tandem with a motor. A good travelling tool....

poppyzhao

Mar 26, 2013
china
Yes, it's a 2 person bicycle. Not overly popular here but most often seen with two people when they are traveling on a long trip, such as across the country. It makes it easier when two people are on the same bike with all their camping equipment and clothing.

Legal in most places as far as I know since there are two seats and two sets of pedals. You are usually not allowed to carry someone as a passenger on a motorized bike. That's if they are just sitting on the bike and don't have pedals to use.

My brothers daughter just came back from Shanghai where she was learning Mandarin.

Steve.
Hi Steve, yes, it will be a good trafic tool when travelling and there will be a lot of fun :)
Will your brothers daughter work in China too? There are lots of foreigner learn Mandarin there years, and they speak it very good.
Regards,
Poppy