Death Race 4-16-2011

GoldenMotor.com

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
You guys better have your ducks lined up. I'm working on a secret weapon. I call it the undead rapid transit special. Anybody know where I can get a 29 tooth rear sprocket?

Three-Wire

Aug 12, 2010
Goddard, KS
I think I'm in... I'd like #177 please. Barring major disaster, I'll be bringing at least one friend and another bike from Kansas to run as well.

Are there going to be limitations on the bikes or classes (stock, modified, morini, etc), or is it anything-goes?

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Three-Wire, how far away is Goddard from Shawnee? I wanted to go to the death race but my parents don't want to take me..... I hope you have fun down there. REPRESENT! :)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I think I'm in... I'd like #177 please. Barring major disaster, I'll be bringing at least one friend and another bike from Kansas to run as well.

Are there going to be limitations on the bikes or classes (stock, modified, morini, etc), or is it anything-goes?
I wanted to have classes but I don't think we will have enough track time. Plus I cannot provide trophy's for that many classes. So for right now its run what you got but lets use a little common sense. Future D race's we are gonna have to change things up. If I cannot guarantee track time for several classes I will have a limit of 5hp instead.

But, lets get past this DR and if all goes well and we get a good turnout we will move forward with DR and really set some classes so everyone can be top dog in there class.

Lets try to keep the numbers from 0-100, if I am able to provide numbers above 100 I will let you know. Will 77 do for now until I know we will have over 100 participants?

Three-Wire

Aug 12, 2010
Goddard, KS
Three-Wire, how far away is Goddard from Shawnee? I wanted to go to the death race but my parents don't want to take me..... I hope you have fun down there. REPRESENT! :)
It's about 200 miles, I'm just outside of Wichita.

I wanted to have classes but I don't think we will have enough track time. Plus I cannot provide trophy's for that many classes.
Totally understandable, I just didn't want to get there and discover I wasn't legal or something... Thank you for organizing this in the first place! I don't think we all realize just how much effort it takes to put on an event like this, so whatever you want to do is fine by me. If I can help at all from 1000 miles away, please let me know...

Lets try to keep the numbers from 0-100, if I am able to provide numbers above 100 I will let you know. Will 77 do for now until I know we will have over 100 participants?
77 was going to be my alternate anyway... How did you know??? :eek: :D

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Cool thanks. I'm always trying to get a better knowledge of kansas and I try to make friends semi-close to me. nice to find someone else in kansas. :)

ezheimers

Jan 2, 2011
Left Coast
Maybe at least a Senior Class... say 50 and above? Depending on number of shows!
In reality - It's probibly more important to divide motor sizes than age brackets...
Whatever! You build it and they will come! -EZ

strotter

Aug 7, 2008
Checking in from So. Cal, I'll be there.

Suggestion: Two classes. Stock and unlimited. We will have time if we make the time.

Question: I have a motorized tandem. Can I enter it and have my 16 year old son ride with me??

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I believe you and your son should be able to race on a tandem, but see me at the track so we can confirm with MHC that they will allow that.

I dont have time to discuss classes right now, but it is a lot more complicated then just saying "lets have classes" I can say that till I am blue on my face but track time will decide what we can and cannot do.

If you really want classes, then lets cancel the date, get everyone to pre-pay there entry fee, score enough sponsors to provide trophy's. And a small group of guys to help make decision on what classes to have.

And if we dont get a minimum of 100 pre-paid entry fee's then I cannot reserve the track to have enough time to have classes.

Right now we have half a day of track time (give or take it all depends how many supermotos show up) and 1st,2nd,3rd place trophys. The sponsor for the bike show is backing out so now I have to come up with something for the bike show. Kinda pisses me off cause it was there idea and they came to me about it.

And we have a prize for the first place finisher and I am hoping to have a small trophy and prize for the winner of the bike show.

I am also getting lots of crying about my morini so I will not be racing. Good luck trying to beat some with 8hp and up motors buddy! I am not hosting DR so I can win all the time and I will prove it by not participating at all in any DR.

Three-Wire

Aug 12, 2010
Goddard, KS
Boy, I hope my post didn't trigger all this... I just want to come run and was only asking to be sure i wouldn't build an unacceptable bike.

I'd just like to say thanks again for hosting this event at all!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Dave, instead of backing out because some people whine about it "not being fair..." we could just have one race, but divide that up into classes.

that way, no matter what the order of the finishers are, if you have the fastest motor, you win in your class, even if a guy with a different motor beats you.

i know you're thinkin', that's just more trophys, but who cares about trophys at this stage? i mean, i've got 5 kit sprockets i can spraypaint 1-5 on them and jam them onto a piece of wood.

as far as keeping track, shouldn't be that hard. when you sign up, write down what kinda motor you're running, then sort it out at the end.

it's all about having fun and doing some racing. bragging rights are good enough for me.

(that is, if i can get to this one. which i think i can...:) )

Last edited:

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I'm not advocating cancelling the race and I'm not real concerned about having classes but I don't see a problem with pre-paid registration with no refunds. it works for Perimiter Bicycling. If there is anything I can do to help you out Dave just send me a PM.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The only crying I am hearing is about me and my Morini, so I have solved the problem and will not race and we will not allow Morini's in DR.

I have been trying and trying how to fit classes in the time allowed, and what classes to have. My conclusions is that no matter what classes we have someone or some group will always feel its unfair.

We all run such different motors and sizes its too complicated to fit everyone in a class that will be fair for everyone.

Its run what you got No Morini's allowed.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
hey dave how much are the throphies
I already have the trophy's for the race City of Angles provided by Motorbicycling.com and a engine kit for the winner provided by Freedom Bikes. I am still working on some prizes for 2nd and 3rd.

Bike Show, Got one vendor offering a frame but it is not confirmed and I hope to be able to have at least one trophy for the winner. I will work on it so that it will be worth while for the winner.