beer bottle Expansion Chamber

GoldenMotor.com

MN-occd

Feb 13, 2010
MN USA
Has any member used aluminm beer bottles as a chamber.
looks like two btls with the bottoms cut off could make a descent adj sized chamber.
after tuneing/adj the size, weld the seem with a propane torch and some AlumiWeld.

MN-occd

Feb 13, 2010
MN USA
they are suprizingly thick, also looking at alum water bottles,tent poles and header wrap.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i wanted to build an aluminum gas tank, and was looking at those water bottles for a possible filler neck. the only ones i've seen have a plastic cap, though.

an aluminum canteen might work, also. cut the spout off and alumiweld it in.

one problem you might have is heat. our exhausts get pretty hot, and i dunno if alumiwelded seams would hold up.

MN-occd

Feb 13, 2010
MN USA
i dunno the "running hot" pipe temps either. but i have seen them pretty close to the the riders leg.

MN-occd

Feb 13, 2010
MN USA
google images has good pics of alum bottles with curvy coolshapes and still smooth/straight at the bottom for a good overlap. looked like foreign brew.

aspireonescs

Jan 4, 2010
Saint Marys county, Maryland
google images has good pics of alum bottles with curvy coolshapes and still smooth/straight at the bottom for a good overlap. looked like foreign brew.
i forgot about these Elements Energy Drink - Everything Else is Just Bull! they are made by snapple and i know wawa has them, they are pretty thick, thicker then the beer ones i think. might pick up a few on the way home from work tommorow :)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sounds feasble...we used to make chambers for our model airplane engines out of white rain mousse cans.

make sure your choice of beverage container has enough volume.

A foty would probably work better than a 12 oz. "bottle".

MN-occd

Feb 13, 2010
MN USA
i have a Das-ugly stick, red barron theme, iron cross on wings.
mousse can exhaust gave me the idea...That and some of the pipe pics ive seen....

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
Baird, yes alumiweld will hold up. I anealed 3 peices of thin alum plate to make a header gasket and then alumiwelded them together to form one think gasket (was out of thick alum at the time) and it has held up for going on 3 years now.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
mdlee, your gsket is also held together with the bolts for the exhaust, though, right? i dunno if a pipe or cans will hold the heat. i've heard of people's pipe's glowing red hot.

i've used alumiweld for a lot of things, and sometimes it just doesn't hold that strong.

but, like i said, never know unless you try.

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Somewhere there is a picture of a member using a purple Venom drink can. I've looked and looked. The bike has an aftermarket purple gas tank with that Venom can exhaust.

MN-occd

Feb 13, 2010
MN USA
i gave it a try, its not easy! dont drink the energy drink before trying, big mistake!
i need a pipe bender bad!

Last edited: